3rd printing of Swords & Wizardry Complete is almost here

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
Wouter

3rd printing of Swords & Wizardry Complete is almost here

Post by Wouter »

Stacy Dellorfano wrote:The 3rd printing of Swords & Wizardry is almost here! I can't give an exact date for the Kickstarter at the moment, but it'll be shortly after Gen Con.
Source: Google+

Wow, can't wait! Besides a new layout, do you think there will be any changes in the actual content?

merias
Site Admin

Re: 3rd printing of Swords & Wizardry Complete is almost her

Post by merias »

This is the first I have heard of a new edition, I also would love to know what kinds of changes we will see. I guess the kickstarter has not arrived yet? The cover art certainly hints at a different vibe, more dark fantasy than classic old-school. Perhaps this is FGGs way of differentiating complete, art with a totally different feel?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

You might be right. I'm not entirely sure whether I would like that, though... I very much enjoy the vanilla fantasy feel of Swords & Wizardry, which makes it feel authentic. Then again, I will be backing the kickstarter either way :P

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

If you have even slightly less than 100% praise for the cover, make certain you don't give that opinion on that thread. Apparently, if you don't like it you're being sexist. :roll:

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I noticed that. Quite the false dichotomy. I appreciate it as a good piece of art, not as a cover for an OSR game. But clearly I am not the target audience for this edition, if the cover art is representative of what it will look like inside.

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

It certainly doesn't evoke anything resembling what the game is/the contents of the rules.

Someone commented on a post concerning this at Tenkar's Tavern that it looked like some pretentious indy game. I'd agree with that. Someone mentioned it may work as a cover for a horror game but I don't think it even does that.
As a piece of art by itself, it isn't horrible, but it's pretty weak.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

The cover artist just confirmed in the G+ group thread (you need to be signed in to G+ to see it) that the text is the same as in previous editions.

Bravesteel

Post by Bravesteel »

merias wrote:The cover artist just confirmed in the G+ group thread (you need to be signed in to G+ to see it) that the text is the same as in previous editions.
So, as I am waiting for my six copies of my rule books from the Frogs, I have nothing to worry about?
"Est Sularis oth Mithas. My honor is my life."

foxroe

Post by foxroe »

I really don't understand the need for this. What's wrong with the 2nd print?

While I don't dislike the proposed cover art (it is evocative), it doesn't say S&W to me. I'll stick with the Erol Otus cover.

I think a product starts to lose its identity if it just keeps getting re-released with different art.

I would rather see a Kickstarter for a special edition version. Something along the lines of the excellent Blackblade Publishing version of OSRIC or the 2nd edition of Carcosa. Heavier cover, maybe faux leather, thicker pages, etc. You know, kind of like the 1ed rulebooks.

Just my 2 coppers.
- Fox