Stat Bonuses

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
Dareshiranu

Stat Bonuses

Post by Dareshiranu »

I realize that S&W only emulates 0e, but they specifically reference the expansions. What design decision limited stat bonuses to STR basically? I would have at least liked to see a side-bar discussing the option for 18% STR and spread out bonuses for the other stats, after all they spread out CHR for followers. I realize that I can do it myself in a house rule, but this was something from Greyhawk.

merias
Site Admin

Re: Stat Bonuses

Post by merias »

Welcome to the forums, Dareshiranu.

I can't say for sure, but I would guess it was just about simplicity. S&W has always been about a more streamlined, better organized OD&D. Rules like the exceptional strength (and others also in the supplements, like weapon vs. AC and psionics) were probably pruned in favor of this overall goal. This is where I wish we still had the old forums as an archive - this very question may have been discussed there at one time during Complete's development.

Persimmon

Re: Stat Bonuses

Post by Persimmon »

Not sure how many people read these forums anymore, but I was curious as to how many of you use the stat bonuses RAW as opposed to just using the B/X standard or something else? We've always gone with B/X bonuses and we roll 4d6, drop the lowest, but we're thinking about going RAW for our upcoming campaign. The main reason for adjusting is that we tend to have pretty combat heavy games and we use crits, so every little bonus helps.
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult