"Special Hirelings" / Followers / Minions

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
sparc_spread

"Special Hirelings" / Followers / Minions

Post by sparc_spread »

In the SWC section on Charisma, we have the following:

"Charisma also limits the number of 'special hirelings' your character can attract into service as vassals. This does not mean normal men-at-arms; it means henchmen who are character types: Magic-Users, Clerics and others. Once your character reaches higher levels, you will need those minions! Charisma does not affect the number of regular troops, lantern-bearers, and pack carriers you can employ, although it might affect how loyal they are."

I scoured the rest of the rules but couldn't find anything else about this, besides the section on Rangers (specific only to that class) and higher level adventuring (but these are "normal" hirelings like men-at-arms.) Are there some rules on this that I just couldn't find? Thx!

ClawCarver

Re: "Special Hirelings" / Followers / Minions

Post by ClawCarver »

It does seem to be an omission in every version of S&W: rules for what AD&D called "henchmen" and Moldvay Basic D&D (where I started) called "retainers".

What I do is simply import the rules from Basic D&D (page B21). If you don't have that handy, you could use the next best thing: Labyrinth Lord. Free download available from the Goblinoid Games website, and the rules for retainers are on page 46.

The basics: a retainer can't be higher level than the PC who hires him or her, and retainers get a half share of XP. I hope that helps!

sparc_spread

Re: "Special Hirelings" / Followers / Minions

Post by sparc_spread »

I do have a copy of Moldvay Basic and I found the section you mentioned - it looks perfect to me. It got me reading some other parts that also look useful. Thanks again!