Who's in on the Upcoming KS?

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
Persimmon

Re: Who's in on the Upcoming KS?

Post by Persimmon »

Cool; I found it mildly disappointing. The layout and art are both inferior to the previous version IMO. Still happy to support Matt though, and I can still use my old book so not a big deal.
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

For me it was the primary font that seemed different - lighter and harder to read as compared to prior versions. Of course with the PDF you can zoom to whatever size, but even still there is something amiss there.

William

Post by William »

Does the new edition include a Morale system for combat? The rules have needed a system for a while now in my opinion. I currently drop Morale from AD&D into my S&W games.
I completely missed the Kickstarter due to living under a rock, but the new book looks fab and I will definitely be ordering some kind of hardback copy of it. I have the Core Rules in hardback from Lulu, and the previous Complete on PDF.
The idea of an Unearthed Arcana style supplement is a good one. It would be nice to see some rules for swimming, a simple weapon speed system to break (most) tied Initiative, and a generalised secondary skills system to flesh out character backgrounds a bit more. And obviously, some more character classes, and possibly races, would be exciting too.

Bill

Edit: I also don't think that the art is quite right on the POD version, as it looks like it belongs on the cover to a Sci-Fi game book, but the logo cover is fine with me. The last time I checked the logo cover had been made available on the POD version, but in a different colour from that on the premium print version.
Last edited by William on Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

Yes, Matt did add morale. He also improved the random treasure generation system. So those two things are certainly upgrades. For me, it's the presentation & layout that are the negatives.

William

Post by William »

It's good to hear that Matt has added a Morale system. I'm afraid that I have only seen small samples of the new S&W complete, so I can't really comment on the design and layout. What I have seen looks great, so it's a shame to hear that the presentation and layout are not too good once you have witnessed the full thing. I do like the logo cover though, and I'm probably still going to buy a hardcover once it's available.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

William

Post by William »

The POD version of the hardback book is available now on DriveThruRPG. It wasn't there last week so it must be a new development!
Apparently copies of the offset, traditionally printed book will be in the UK at some point over the next two weeks, plus Canada are close to getting their copies too (unless they have already arrived?).
I still don't like that Erol Otus cover (although I do like Erol's art in general); it's the logo cover for me in either green or (preferably) blue!

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I said above that the cover art didn't inspire me - Otus' art is great, but this one just seemed out-of-place. I backed for only the PDFs and just did a POD of the rules at Lulu - coil bound with the blue logo cover. I'm pretty happy with it as a table copy.

William

Post by William »

My copy of S&W Complete has arrived (it actually arrived on 02/12/2023, but I've had Birthday and Advent celebrations to deal with, so I haven't been able to do a post on here). I was surprised by the matt finish cover, as all other S&W releases that I've seen have been gloss, and on the other hand I was surprised by the gloss of the interior pages, as all the other S&W releases that I've seen have used a matt finish. I got the saddle stitched, gold logo/blue background cover version.

I like it! :D

I've had a chat with Matt Finch about the upcoming rules supplement and discovered that there will also be a monsters book too. Th rules supplement will include the following additional character classes:

Arcane Duellist (Elven/ Half Elven)
Barbarian
Bard (possibly the version from The Strategic Review)
Beserker
Chivalric Knight
Dwarven Battle Priest
Friar
Illusionist (possibly the version from The Strategic Review and The Dragon)
Necromancer
Troubadour
Warlock

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

William wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:05 am
My copy of S&W Complete has arrived (it actually arrived on 02/12/2023, but I've had Birthday and Advent celebrations to deal with, so I haven't been able to do a post on here). I was surprised by the matt finish cover, as all other S&W releases that I've seen have been gloss, and on the other hand I was surprised by the gloss of the interior pages, as all the other S&W releases that I've seen have used a matt finish. I got the saddle stitched, gold logo/blue background cover version.

I like it! :D

I've had a chat with Matt Finch about the upcoming rules supplement and discovered that there will also be a monsters book too. Th rules supplement will include the following additional character classes:

Arcane Duellist (Elven/ Half Elven)
Barbarian
Bard (possibly the version from The Strategic Review)
Beserker
Chivalric Knight
Dwarven Battle Priest
Friar
Illusionist (possibly the version from The Strategic Review and The Dragon)
Necromancer
Troubadour
Warlock

Bill
This sounds very cool indeed. I was rather underwhelmed by the new edition, but new content, especially character classes, would be great.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Agree, I like the few rules changes in the new edition, the presentation not so much. But the illusionist would be a welcome addition, it should have been in the rules to begin with. LL AEC has had the illusionist since its release, and there were no legal issues.