The nine Druid mysteries?

Discuss Swords & Wizardry Complete - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
SirGreatNose

The nine Druid mysteries?

Post by SirGreatNose »

The nine mysteries, are they more than just titles? Surley they must be, since the rules state that the Druid 'learns' the first Mysteries at second level, and then goes on to describe the new abilities (not just spells!). But that's the only description of Mysteries that I've found, and there are eight more.

I know about the fifth level abilites, and the stronghold, and I know about the challenges to become Arch, and Grand Druid.

Is there info somewhere that details the mysteries? Maybe a supplement? Or is this something that a GM should flesh out? Or, do they literally just become titles?

Thanks, in advance!

merias
Site Admin

Re: The nine Druid mysteries?

Post by merias »

Welcome, SirGreatNose. My take on this is that they are mostly just titles. Keep in mind S&W is largely based on OD&D, so the Druid is more like the original OD&D Druid from supplement III (Eldritch Wizardry), rather than the AD&D Druid. In supp. III, the Druid gains special powers at 2nd and 6th level. The original level titles were 'Initiate of the 1st Circle' and 'Initiate of the 5th Circle', respectively, but no other special powers were detailed, apart from spells. If you don't have supp. III, here are the relevant bits:

SirGreatNose

Post by SirGreatNose »

Ah, I see. I definitely don't have that supplement. I really should have known!

Thank you so much for the thorough reply, and the welcome!

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

The OD&D PDFs are available legally now, at dndclassics.com, highly recommended reading. It occurs to me also that you have a good idea, I like Druids but always felt they were a bit under-powered as far as spell choices (even given the relatively low XP requirements), perhaps expanding the class by way of more Druid mysteries would help.

SirGreatNose

Post by SirGreatNose »

Looks like I've got a new reading assignment! Thanks, again.

It's funny, I've been so into Swords and Wizardry lately, that I forget it's a 'retroclone'. It feels unique. The support content from Bill Webb and company is so good, that I honestly don't care to play any other game.

I guess I kind of assumed that somewhere in one of those materials, they rounded out the Druid class a little bit. Even though, I know they can't really deviate too much from the original inspiration.

Still, an awesome class when played with a little creativity, though.