OOC Chat

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
Tamerlaine

Re: OOC Chat

Post by Tamerlaine »

jcftao wrote:Tamerlaine...tell me something that Sigga is really bad at.
Cooking

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

jcftao wrote:Next, tell me one weapon that you have or could fashion from found materials (in other words, you may start with a weapon that requires no coin spent.)
Sigga could have forged down iron/steel castoffs and made a simple axe head or dwarven hammer along with a oak or hickory haft and some leather strips.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Sigga has fashioned an iron warhammer with a strong hickory handle and a leather hand holder. This is a one-handed weapon that she can use for melee or throw.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Wow! What a brawl you fellows had with the men in the Lion and Lamb!
It was a rough and tumble battle!

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Lol! Erwin was almost killed in the first encounter! Good times!

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Ha Ha! Just a bump on the noggin!

They were in bar room brawling mode!

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

For discussions sake, when Sigga was grappled, I rolled to hit her AC. She was hit and so I ruled that on her turn, she would get a chance to break the hold.
She did this by making an opposing strength check. If her and opponent both make the check, I rule that the one that had the greatest margin of victory wins.

Also, when one of the men tried to whack her with his club, I gave him a +2 modifier to hit. Do you think this was enough?

The men tried to wrench her arms while maintaining their hold. They both failed, but I figured the damage it would have caused would be 1-2 points (plus Str) of subdual damage. Do you think that is too much or not enough?

Sigga broke free one round and then was able to attack with her club. I rolled a simple d6 check 1-3=no, 4-6=yes and she held onto it. I remembered that she had fashioned a leather strap for it, so I should have given her a modifier. So Sigga was able to break the grapple and attack on the same round. I like that ruling. In my opinion, breaking the grapple is considered a move action, leaving her with one more action (melee in this case.)

Also, I kept the combat to subdual. At first, Sigga was hot headed and storming in the door and she rolled a critical on the man there. She did enough to kill him outright, but I rolled on the Table of Death (I will share this with you sometime) and result was a KO.

After this, the men all attacked with subdual...punching and grapple. Some of them used weapons, but their intention was to knock out the PCs.

I reasoned that many of the men were neighboring villagers and known to both Roger and Erwin for sure. They would rather brawl them without deadly results.

Please feel free to discuss this. I'm not posting it for any reason other than to see what you would have done or other ways to handle the combat. This way, we can set some precendents and it will be easier to rule in the future.

The combat was quick and a whole lot of fun to play. I was rooting for the PCs and it looked a little dicey for a bit...and Erwin got KO'd...too funny!

Reminder--if the PCs spend time after a battle, they may bind wounds. 1d3 hp regained or 1d3+1 if bandages and healing herbs are available.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

That was a good way to handle brawling/grappling. Hiding the mechanics in spoiler tags worked well for not cluttering up the post. Despite the slower pbp format, I think I would have let us choose our first round or even second of actions, rather than immediately adjudicating the entire fight at once. If it was clear that the men were going to brawl, I think we would have followed suit but I would have liked the opportunity to try a different tactic like piling on one man, or throwing a bottle or chair, running to block an exit, etc.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

merias wrote:That was a good way to handle brawling/grappling. Hiding the mechanics in spoiler tags worked well for not cluttering up the post. Despite the slower pbp format, I think I would have let us choose our first round or even second of actions, rather than immediately adjudicating the entire fight at once. If it was clear that the men were going to brawl, I think we would have followed suit but I would have liked the opportunity to try a different tactic like piling on one man, or throwing a bottle or chair, running to block an exit, etc.
I agree. I want to balance the speed of play with player agency. I don't mind doing a round by round, but perhaps have a window of posting time...certainly don't want the battle to drag on for days, no?

Also, on trying different things...using a chair, tripping, etc. I would love to see that kind of play. Anything wild and fun you guys think of, I will consider and give you some modifier...or penalty!

Thoughts?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

jcftao wrote: I agree. I want to balance the speed of play with player agency. I don't mind doing a round by round, but perhaps have a window of posting time...certainly don't want the battle to drag on for days, no?

Also, on trying different things...using a chair, tripping, etc. I would love to see that kind of play. Anything wild and fun you guys think of, I will consider and give you some modifier...or penalty!

Thoughts?
Exactly, there is a balance there which probably changes with each encounter and if a player has not posted in a couple of days then autopilot is essential to keep things moving.