Wickersham, Chapter 2 New Wickersham

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
Wouter

Re: Wickersham, Chapter 2 New Wickersham

Post by Wouter »

Alexander will stay put, still guarding the rear, ready to dash out and spring into action when needed.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton sticks his amphibian head out and gets the kids' attention, all the while using a be quiet pantomime. He will then sneak over to them and produce his dagger going to work on their bindings -- feet first, then hands.

If he can successfully do that without rousing the giant, he will then lead the children off to rejoin Alexander.

Let's hope they are comfortable with Rana.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Milton approaches the children. They sit up and look at him wide eyed but not in fear of him.

"Snoort! Snnnrgghh...Zoop!" the hill giant snores loudly. He sits up a moment and smacks his lips.

Then the giant rolls back over, cradling his keg of wine. Farting loudly he resumes his slumber.

Milton quietly makes quick work of the bonds and users the children off towards Alexander and the others.

What do you do know?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton approaches Alexander and the others with the children quietly. There's a huge bull-giant sleeping there. We've got the tadpoles rescued, but I'm concerned that when he wakes he'll cause trouble. No idea why he might have taken the children... and with that he has a thought.

Froglings, he says, addressing the kids and handing them a piece of fish from his satchel, do you know why the man-giant took you? Do you know what happened to your parents? Did he attack your village or did something else happen?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Alexander quietly sheaths his swords and beckons the children towards him. He puts his finger to his lips and whispers: "Shhhh... Fear no longer, children, for you are safe with us... But you must be very quiet now..!" Turning to Milton: "Let's first move away from here, before this monster wakes up..."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Heeding Alexander's advice, the group retreats back into the woods for several hundred yards.

The chidren stare in wide eyed wonder at the rana and the knight.

The little girl is fascinated by Milton, "Lookee there, Peter, e's a froggy man! I ain't never seen one o' them before."

"I know it Belle, but pa done told us 'bout them folks, they live in the swampy lands to the south...you remember pa saying that?"

The little boy, dirty and ragged, about eight years old says, "Our mum's gone...died from a cough she caught while we was runnin' from them soldiers."

The little lass, perhaps a year younger, chimes in, "Pa's done gone too. The Lord's men kilt 'im cause 'e was tryin' to get more food fer the villagers."

"Then mum took us away in the middle o' the night. We been living in a overhang next to a stream since then. Mum wanted to find a new home fer us...away from the soldiers. We were gettin' pretty hungry and mum got sick and died. Then me an' Belle went lookin' for some food and got snatched up by that giant feller."

Belle begins to cry, "That biggun said he didn't know whether he'd eat us or sell us fer slaves!"

kjc

Post by kjc »

Aldarren - Ranger
Aldarren picks up the girl to comfort her as he sits next to the boy. He indicates the group with a sweeping gesture, "No harm can come to you with all these mighty men to protect you," he says to the children. "Now if the nice 'froggy'"...with a wink towards Milton... "would mind the children for a moment, I would speak to the others."
The ranger then walks a few paces away and addresses any who would join him. "We need to deal with the giant. Also the children must be left in someone's care. Thoughts?"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton watches dumbfounded as he is left to play babysitter. Then he smiles weakly at the children, crouches down, and starts singing quietly...

Five little speckled frogs
Sat on a speckled log
Eating the most delicious bugs
One jumped into the pool
Where it was nice and cool
Then there were four green speckled frogs.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Alexander looks at Aldarren with a questioning look, wiping the edge of his shield clean with a piece of his shirt: "Surely you don't mean to take this creature's life while he is asleep..? As for the children..." Alexander looks back over his shoulder at the children, who are beaming with joy listening to Milton's lighthearted song. "I suppose they would be best off sheltered by the firm walls of New Wickersham. I am sure they will be more than welcome with Claire, in the temple of Theos."

kjc

Post by kjc »

Aldarren - Ranger

"I respect your convictions Alexander, but this is not a battle of honor," Aldarren says through clenched teeth. "That thing is a beast. It is beyond redemption. lf we suffer it to live, it is but twelve miles from our home. Would you have us leave it? What if it harms others? Maybe someone close to you...maybe Claire? Do we wake it first? Contain its drunken rage until it is sober enough for a fair fight? When I stalk a hart, I do not call out first. I slay it quickly, knowing that it's death serves a purpose." Aldarren takes a breath, regaining his composure. Putting a hand on Alexander's shoulder he continues,"I do not 'take' a life lightly. I would hear all opinions. I respect the counsel of all gathered here."