Site Admin

Re: Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

Post by merias »

Erwin agrees, off to the village!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Bizenghast: Sorceress
Son_of_Sod wrote:My lady, I would be ashamed if I tried to rob you of the joy of feeling the forest grass on your feet after all your time away from this greenery. But I understand if you wish to rest in which case you could stay with the wagon.
She listens intently to Roger's words. Immediately after he finishes speaking she is filled with gratitude to hear the common speech of Human folk, and not that of the nasty, cruel Harpy. Without looking up, she speaks to herself more than anyone in particular, "I shall stay with the wagon. It is a good wagon." again, deeply appreciating the presence of something civilized even if just an object, a wagon. Lacking intention, she wonders the perimeter of the wagon, barefoot, feeling the commencement of the forest beneath her feet... grass, sticks, pebbles, and earth all communing with her flesh, unaware of Roger's suggestion coming to fruition.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Despite Bizenghast's reverie amongst her bucolic surroundings, the party has made a decision to travel towards the southwest in pursuit of the trail of smoke. Roger clicks his tongue at Horse. The beast reluctantly pulls its attention away from the abundance of green grass at the forest edge.

A short overland trip (just a few arrow flights in distance) and the party is there. They were wrong in thinking of this as a village. It is a logging camp. Wagons with special log hauling frames are being prepared to take logs to parts unknown. A dozen or so tents are set up at the edge of the woods. A fire burns in the center of the camp. A man is stirring a large kettle. He looks at the party warily and continues to stir. Several other men working on the wagons, stop and watch the party move closer.

A large man with a bushy red beard and bald head bellows out a warning, "If you've come in peace, then come ahead. We have stew and a place to rest for a bit. If you mean trouble, come ahead, but be warned. We have axe and bow and know how both work!"

Actions?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"You have nothing to fear from us," Erwin says. "I am Erwin and these are my adventuring companions. We are travelling through, but would be grateful if you could point us in the direction of the nearest copse of Rowan trees. My Elvish friend is in need of a decent bow. For now we will take you up on your offer and rest a bit."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Bizenghast: Sorceress
jcftao wrote:Despite Bizenghast's reverie amongst her bucolic surroundings, the party has made a decision to travel towards the southwest in pursuit of the trail of smoke. Roger clicks his tongue at Horse. The beast reluctantly pulls its attention away from the abundance of green grass at the forest edge.
Without realizing the party's decision, or the direction headed, she hears the 'click' and quick steps a few steps to hop up onto the already moving wagon.
jcftao wrote:A large man with a bushy red beard and bald head bellows out a warning, "If you've come in peace, then come ahead. We have stew and a place to rest for a bit. If you mean trouble, come ahead, but be warned. We have axe and bow and know how both work!"
Bizenghast sinks lower into the back of the wagon, perhaps attempting to hide.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo thumbs in Erwin's direction and says, What he said, and then, sniffing, asks, What's in your stew?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The large woodsman looks down at the hobbit and a broad smile comes over his face. He lets loose a long belly laugh, "We've plenty of turnip and taters in that pot on the fire. There may even be bit of pork in it, if you're luckly, little man."

The woodsman invites the party to sit and rest. He motions to the stew pot and grabs some wooden bowls.

"Now, let me set you straight on a couple things. First thing is this forest belongs to the Knights of Nye. They rule the countryside you are standing in. They may seem a bit odd, but Lord Terrence is a good lord. He's been fair to us commoners. Don't cross him or his knights, you'll be regretting that."

"The next thing I'd tell you is don't be tramping around in the forest without permission from Lord Terrence. I know that rowan trees are sacred to the knights, so you may as well forget it. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask. Lord Terrence probably won't throw you folks in the dungeon."

"If you want to speak with Lord Terrence, you'll need to follow the edge of the forest heading northeast, until you get to an opening in the forest. Don't worry, you can't miss it. Even your horse and wagon can navigate that path."

"Oh, my name's Burl. If you decide to give up adventuring, come back here and I'll put you to work. Not much pay, but plenty of stew!"

You look around the camp and see some canvas tents and camping gear. The woodsmen look to have been here for a few months. You guess that they move occasionally. A large wagon is filled with logs. In the forest, one large tree catches your attention. At the base of the tree is a yellow symbol, appears to be painted on."

Actions? Anything else you wish to ask Burl?

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

Glancing around the camp, Moonglimmer notes the odd yellow symbol.

"Master Burl, what is the meaning of that yellow symbol on yonder tree?" she asks as she points to the mark.

"Is it the coat of arms for Lord Terrence or the Knights of Nye?"

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

The hair on the back of Roger's neck stands up when he hears that the Knights of Nye are not far away... Something about them makes the Shrubber worry.

*After Roger brings the cart to a full stop he will give the horses a sugar cube and grab a bowl of stew*

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo looks hungrily at the sugar cube.