The Elder Temple

Merias' White Box game
merias
Site Admin

Re: The Elder Temple

Post by merias »

Mike wrote:If Oberon can see that Grimma has a lantern or torch he'll suggest that she "light-up".

OCC: is the tunnel wide enough for three-abreast or just two? If two, the existing marching order is fine by me.

Oberon whispers to Dolgrim, "There seems to be no guard at this gate; does your keen dwarven eye spot any traps or warning chicanery hidden in the stonework?"
Grimma has no light source, but would hold a torch or lantern if one were provided. The entrance tunnel is about 8 feet wide, enough for two abreast.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Gerhard mutters something about how much better it would be to stay in the forest.

"I have no torches to lend. i don't think my bow will be any good in these cramped quarters."

Gerhard will switch to his hand axe and hope for the best.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

"Please be careful with it, it has been in my family for quite some time," says Dolgrim as he hands over his lantern to Grimma. "Now, let me take a closer look at this stonework here..."

Awaiting PM

Mike

Post by Mike »

jcftao wrote:Gerhard mutters something about how much better it would be to stay in the forest.

"I have no torches to lend. i don't think my bow will be any good in these cramped quarters."

Gerhard will switch to his hand axe and hope for the best.
Oberon shakes his head, 'No Gerhard, I was engaged in mop-up duty at the tail-end of the Enmity of Harg. The ice tunnels were about this size of these passages and bows, both long and short, were invaluable at short and mid-range. My own bow, which is now yours, claimed the lives of six Hag-Hargi goblins; two with one shaft.'

Oberon thinks for a moment before adding, 'Plus, a bow with arrow knocked can go a long way to dissuading an unsure foe from making an ill-considered charge down a narrow corridor.'

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

PM sent.

Grimma lights the lantern as you await Dolgrim's report. He is peering intently at the stonework and into the tunnel.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Dolgrim runs his hands over the stonework, sometimes inspecting it so closely his nose almost touches it. He mumbles approvingly: "Hmm, yes... This is very old and solidly constructed, indeed... They don't make 'em like this anymore." He peers into the tunnel that runs northwest into the hill and blinks a couple of times: he did not expect to see almost as plain day into the unlit tunnel. "I can see a landing halfway down a broad staircase up ahead. The steps go up to the left, and down to the right." He turns around. "There is a bas-relief carving in the wall of the landing, the face of a bearded man, straight across the entrance."

Are we supposed to map this part ourself? I could set up a Google document to which we all can contribute.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I've found mapping can slow things down considerably in an already slow medium, so I'll be posting maps or partial maps. Here is your current location:

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Mike wrote:
Oberon thinks for a moment before adding, 'Plus, a bow with arrow knocked can go a long way to dissuading an unsure foe from making an ill-considered charge down a narrow corridor.'
Gerhard pats the warrior on the back, "Oberon, my friend, I shall heed your advice! My only fear is sending one of these arrows into a friend instead of a foe! What thinks you if I yell 'Duck!' when I let one fly?"

Gerhard begins chuckling, "reminds me of a barmaid I once knew!"

Mike

Post by Mike »

Wouter wrote:Dolgrim runs his hands over the stonework, sometimes inspecting it so closely his nose almost touches it. He mumbles approvingly: "Hmm, yes... This is very old and solidly constructed, indeed... They don't make 'em like this anymore." He peers into the tunnel that runs northwest into the hill and blinks a couple of times: he did not expect to see almost as plain day into the unlit tunnel. "I can see a landing halfway down a broad staircase up ahead. The steps go up to the left, and down to the right." He turns around. "There is a bas-relief carving in the wall of the landing, the face of a bearded man, straight across the entrance."

Are we supposed to map this part ourself? I could set up a Google document to which we all can contribute.
Oberon grins, 'No traps then? Good, let's go and have a look at that beardy etching. Might be a dwarf?'

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Dolgrim looks at Gerhard, intrigued: he is always up for a good story. "What about the barmaid..?"

"It seems to be safe to enter, indeed: no sign of life or traps," Dolgrim replies to Oberon. Oberon's suggestion brings a smile to his face: "A dwarf, eh? Could be, I couldn't really tell..." He runs a hand through his unkempt beard: "He's a stylish fellow, that's for sure!"