Microlite (74 and other variants)

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
Zorram

Microlite (74 and other variants)

Post by Zorram »

Anyone use the microlite system? Microlite 74 seems pretty much verbatim with S&w whitebox but has some interesting stuff and expanded monsters. They are not the most beautiful books to look at but I think the content is stellar. I'm also a fan of his microlite 20 collection, but that's not really an OSR clone but based around d&d 3.5 mostly. It's pay what you want on DrivethruRPG. Randal S. Stukey put a lot of work into that baby. What do you guys think?

merias
Site Admin

Re: Microlite (74 and other variants)

Post by merias »

I have played ML74 a few times, it is a great system. I particularly like the no-skills aspect, which is exactly like WB and OD&D - just tell the ref what you want to do and maybe make a roll of some sort, decided on the fly.

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

That's a good point, I really like the skill system too (or lack thereof). There's so much flexibility to that system. I have read through most of the microlite stuff (there is a ton!) but I did play microlite 20 and there is so much material there that you can do just about anything. I made my own homebrewed zombie game in almost no time at all. Microlite 74 has some interesting rule varients you can patch in easily into S&W FMAG but the monster section is pretty awesome. If you don't have it grab the microlite 20 rpg collection (2020). In section 6 it has the other varients like 74,78,81 plus so many other game variations it's kind if nuts! https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/311250
PWYW (or free!) :thumbup:

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

I discovered microlite20 back around 2010. It really motivated me into getting back into the old school gaming realm. It is great!

Also, I am tinkering with the skills rules used in Swords and Six-Siders. The rules are free on DTRPG. You might be interested in that for skills/abilities checks.

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

I have looked through the swords and six-siders rules many times and I have to say they are really solid. I was looking at the expanded edition on rpgdrivethru but never forked out the cash. I saw the print version on amazon but it's like 35$ CAD so that's a bit more than I'd like to pay. You probably know about lasers and six siders but it's the sci-fi version of swords and six-siders. Have you got ahold of the expanded edition of swords? I'm wondering if the extra content is worth it.