Microlite (74 and other variants)

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
Zorram

Microlite (74 and other variants)

Post by Zorram »

Anyone use the microlite system? Microlite 74 seems pretty much verbatim with S&w whitebox but has some interesting stuff and expanded monsters. They are not the most beautiful books to look at but I think the content is stellar. I'm also a fan of his microlite 20 collection, but that's not really an OSR clone but based around d&d 3.5 mostly. It's pay what you want on DrivethruRPG. Randal S. Stukey put a lot of work into that baby. What do you guys think?

merias
Site Admin

Re: Microlite (74 and other variants)

Post by merias »

I have played ML74 a few times, it is a great system. I particularly like the no-skills aspect, which is exactly like WB and OD&D - just tell the ref what you want to do and maybe make a roll of some sort, decided on the fly.

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

That's a good point, I really like the skill system too (or lack thereof). There's so much flexibility to that system. I have read through most of the microlite stuff (there is a ton!) but I did play microlite 20 and there is so much material there that you can do just about anything. I made my own homebrewed zombie game in almost no time at all. Microlite 74 has some interesting rule varients you can patch in easily into S&W FMAG but the monster section is pretty awesome. If you don't have it grab the microlite 20 rpg collection (2020). In section 6 it has the other varients like 74,78,81 plus so many other game variations it's kind if nuts! https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/311250
PWYW (or free!) :thumbup:

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

I discovered microlite20 back around 2010. It really motivated me into getting back into the old school gaming realm. It is great!

Also, I am tinkering with the skills rules used in Swords and Six-Siders. The rules are free on DTRPG. You might be interested in that for skills/abilities checks.

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

I have looked through the swords and six-siders rules many times and I have to say they are really solid. I was looking at the expanded edition on rpgdrivethru but never forked out the cash. I saw the print version on amazon but it's like 35$ CAD so that's a bit more than I'd like to pay. You probably know about lasers and six siders but it's the sci-fi version of swords and six-siders. Have you got ahold of the expanded edition of swords? I'm wondering if the extra content is worth it.

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

Update: I bought the swords and six-siders expanded edition PDF.
The first 90 pages are the free rules and whatnot, it looks pretty much verbatim the same thing. The last half of the book is full of adventures meant for the system.
It's a good purchase I think, but not necessary if you're the type to want to do your own adventures.
:thumbup: