Ok so I bought the D&D Cyclopedia..

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
Zorram

Ok so I bought the D&D Cyclopedia..

Post by Zorram »

I bought a reprint of the D&D cyclopedia (Which I recommend, it's on sale right now on DrivethruRPG, I think it's only around 25$! bucks in print?!!)

I love it but I noticed a lot of it is condensed, so I'm looking for an OSR book that might fill the gap of the original BECMI books in terms of character creation and game play. Every OSR I have been looking at is either for B/X, holmes or 1E ad&d. I don't want to convert stuff like XP tables and whatnot. Is there an OSR game that fills this gap or should I just wait until the becmi books are finally up for reprint?

I'm aware of Dark Dungeons, it's a becmi clone but from what I understand it's an cyclopedia clone. I'm looking for something like blueholme thats BECMI compatible not holmes I'm looking Something smaller that explains more of the basics not another cyclopedia.

Hopefully that makes sense, maybe I'm just being too picky. :lol: :lol:

merias
Site Admin

Re: Ok so I bought the D&D Cyclopedia..

Post by merias »

I'm not aware of any pure BECMI clone, or even a clone of just Mentzer basic. I'm actually surprised no one has done this, given the number of clones out there. Maybe Dark Dungeons scratches the BECMI itch for people, even if it is a rules cyclopedia clone.

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

Ok cool, that's exactly how I see it too but thought maybe I was missing something. I broke out my old BECMI books last night, just going to do things the old fashioned way lol Hopefully they put they put the BECMI book sets up for reprint eventually on DrivethruRPG rpg so I'm not stuck with my bad home printed copies :lol:

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I've had good luck printing originals through Lulu, although their new interface is terrible, it still works and you also still see decent coupons from them.

I'm not sure why WOTC won't reprint certain editions in POD - I'd love to see a POD of Holmes Basic (heck, even in decent quality PDF like they did for OD&D).

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

I 100% agree with you. I would also like a Holmes reprint. Blueholme Journeymanne rules are pretty sweet but it's not the same as the real thing. I looked back into Dark Dungeons after your post and it's actually pretty good. I had previously picked up the 'dark dungeons X' thinking it was pretty much the same as Darkest Dungeons, I got thrown off by their custom stuff but plain old dark dungeons is good. Cheap to print too apparently, My list keeps growing and growing. :lol: