Mork Borg, troika, black pudding, etc.

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
Zorram

Mork Borg, troika, black pudding, etc.

Post by Zorram »

Any of you guys like the more psychedelic gonzo osr type games? Trokia and black pudding are cool but mork borg has stolen my heart lol. It has a neat mechanic where you roll one time every morning. If you roll a 1 then you are one step closer to Armageddon. 7 ones and then the world is totally destroyed. So obviously it's not a game for long campaigns but I love the whole dark vibe of mork borg. The book isn't free but tons of material is and those rollers could easily be thrown into any OSR game. Troika is super trippy and I love black puddings kind of crazy style. You guys into anything like that?

merias
Site Admin

Re: Mork Borg, troika, black pudding, etc.

Post by merias »

I have not played many gonzo-style games. Mostly DCC/MCC, both of which can lend themselves to that style of play, and I am not familiar with the newer OSR stuff. That armageddon rule seems like it would be fun, reminds me of the sanity rules in the various Cthulhu-type horror games.

Zorram

Re: Mork Borg, troika, black pudding, etc.

Post by Zorram »

I really like mork borg, it's not straight osr but close enough that it could easily be converted. I'm thinking about stealing some of the better parts for my own games lol

It's got a high price tag though so I'd suggest looking into it first before buying. I'm also a black metal/death metal/doom metal fan and the game is geared for that kind of mindset so it might not be for everyone!

Black Pudding is free, it's completely different but it has a fun magazine type feel. With classes like : Chainmail Chick and Doomslackers' you know it's not too serious. The 'sinewy barbarian' is a character class which you can play. They can distract female enemies by flexing your well oiled muscles at them.. :lol:

I read all the 'zines through (they are free) back at Halloween and added the condensed black pudding pdf to my wishlist on DrivethruRPG.

Edit: There is a free artless edition of Trokia! out there on the net.

Edit Edit: https://vandelarden.itch.io/minimal-borg
This is a url to a stripped down mork bork, it's not everything from the book but you can kind of look at the mechanics of the game with this.

Edit: Edit: Edit: The end of days cycle in Mork Borg is called 'The Calendar of Nechrubel'. You start with D100 and when you roll a 1 an event happens. To find out what event happened roll 1d6 on the chart. For Example: if you rolled a 6 on events on the first event you'd get '1:6 And blood-cough shall spread like fire across the wastelands of the drought.'

The meanings are interpretive, but the thing is the page of choices is presented kind of like a page from the book of Psalms from the bible. Everytime an event happens you shift to the next smallest die (next is d20) so the chance of an event occuring is more and more likely as the game goes on.

Anywho Just wanted to try and clear that up a bit.