Non D&D OSR?

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
Zorram

Non D&D OSR?

Post by Zorram »

Anyone into non-dnd osr games?

Cepheus Engine is pretty damn cool. I bought everything for the 'Barbaric!' series of cepheus engine books. It's basically just traveller at the core. It makes for a cool game although if you're the type to want full immersion it might not be good for you. They still use the traveller term 'mustering out' which is fine but I've never once heard of a barbarian mustering out if anything.

I'm trying to remember more games but I'm drawing a blank lol Zweihander, but I never played that one yet.

merias
Site Admin

Re: Non D&D OSR?

Post by merias »

I've played lots of non-D&D OSR over the years, the (somewhat) related thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59

Our group has been playing mostly WB or LL OEC lately, but since that thread was last updated, I have played a few of the tiny d6 games also, including Tiny Cthulhu. Some of my favorites in the non-D&D variety are Risus, Shotguns-n-Saddles, and Mutant Future.

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

I have Shotguns and Saddles but never played it, Maybe I'll have to check it out more. I like CoC's 'basic roleplaying' system, just in general, it's very well built in my opinion.
Never played risus either, I'll have to take a look at that one.
There is a kind of mutant future type game for cepheus engine called 'Cepheus Atom', it's on my list of things to get.
I don't know miniD6 really, is that the 'WEG' OSR?
OpenD6 stripped down?
I did like micro chapbook rpg for really simple d6 play like swords and six siders, it's very basic though and could be boring for some. It's not OSR but it's inspired by d&d for sure (and a lot of other RPGs).
I really wish paladium would do OSR, but that probably won't ever happen. I like Palladium, but no OSR kind of blows.
OSR flavoured 'Four against darkness' is a pretty cool system for solo, especially the core book. Some of the supplements get way out there though. :lol:
Edit: X-plorers is pretty cool

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

The tiny d6 base mechanic is that any 5 or 6 rolled on 1-3 d6's is a success (more or less dice are used based on advantage or disadvantage). I was not familiar with open d6, but I found the website and it seems far more complicated than tiny d6.

Agree, X-plorers is a great game. Really anything David Bezio does (he also did Shotguns-n-Saddles). I did a couple of supplements for it years back on my old blog, but I haven't played it in a while.

https://smolderingwizard.wordpress.com/ ... &search=Go

badams30

Post by badams30 »

X-Plorers looks like fun, I've got it, never played it. I'd like to try a rules-light super hero game one of these days via PbP, I've got a couple rulesets....

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

Honestly I have never had a chance to play X-plorers, but I read through it a bunch and it seems like it would play solid. I don't really have many people to play with atm. B/X space looks pretty cool too but I haven't spent much time with that.

I bookmarked the site of homebrew X-plorers rules and will definitely check them out.

Tiny d6, Ill have to look for that. I have another game called mini d6 but I think it's totally unrelated. Opend6 is based the old star wars WEG rules.

What superhero games were you looking at?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Zorram wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:32 am
Honestly I have never had a chance to play X-plorers, but I read through it a bunch and it seems like it would play solid. I don't really have many people to play with atm. B/X space looks pretty cool too but I haven't spent much time with that.

I bookmarked the site of homebrew X-plorers rules and will definitely check them out.

Tiny d6, Ill have to look for that. I have another game called mini d6 but I think it's totally unrelated. Opend6 is based the old star wars WEG rules.

What superhero games were you looking at?
I've never played X-Plorers either, I've lurked on a couple pbp games of it, it looked kind of neat, I don't know how it'd be for a lengthy campaign, but for an occasional burst, prob okay. Tumblingdice brought up the idea of running a traditional Star Wars RPG game one of these days, that looks like fun too. I bought the original handbook when I was in highschool, but never played it.
As for supers games, I've played Marvel and V&V back in the day, but I was thinking of something like Tiny Supers or Mystery Men. I haven't played either, but both look super lite and quick to pick up. Apparently there are a bunch of similar hero games out there, but I don't know anything about them.
My big thing at the moment is restarting my stalled PbP using a new ruleset, but I'm keeping the hero thing on the burner, but looking for excuses to use it....

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

I found another free d6 game called simpli-6 on DrivethruRPG free. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/198349
It seems like it plays a lot like how you described Tiny D6 but it's very much a kitchen sink type RPG that has everything (dragons to cybernetics). Might be good for house ruling your Tiny D6 games Merris, but not sure. They have a zombie version of the game that I find delicious :lol:
(Edit: Since I'm not familiar with tinyD6 it might totally not work with that system. I don't know!)

The old star wars rpg is apparently pretty awesome. I was getting very into it until I realized there were dice rolls like 15 dice in size. Some people love that, personally I do not, but that's me. Opend6 is the open game version of the engine but they have different settings such as action, fantasy, etc.
It and it's modules can be downloaded free at https://ogc.rpglibrary.org/index.php?title=OpenD6

I'd be into X-plorers, if I found a game. I like sci-fi. I know what you mean about it being good for one shots but with the right DM anything is possible I would imagine. Where do you see PbP games for it? Here?

I'll have to look up tinySupers and Mystery men, not familiar with them. 'Hoodlums and Hideouts' is an osr d&d based game about heroes, never played but it.
There is also 'Guardians' is another OSR d&d type game but both cost $$. Last time I played a superhero game was paladiums "Heroes Unlimited". That was many moons ago. :lol:

So tinySupers is part of the tinyD6 series? Just googled it :lol: Looks cool but 25$ for a pdf.. ouch. … I'm just a poor boy nobody loves me. He's just a poor boy from a poor family, Spare him his life from this monstrosity :lol: :clap: :crazy:

Mystery Men has 5 reviews of 5 stars :thumbup:

I'll have to look more into this tiny d6 thing more I guess, sounds pretty solid. :o