What other games do you play?

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
Jason_WPGL

Re: What other games do you play?

Post by Jason_WPGL »

OSR? I play White Star, Tall Tales, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and just now getting into Swords & Wizardry.

Non-OSR? Call of Cthulhu 6th Edition, and Star Wars d6.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
www.WPGLodge.com

William

Post by William »

AD&D 1e. I just love it's arcane "vibe" - devils and demons; runes, glyphs, and sigils; tables with herbs, medicinal vegetables, and spell components; magical symbols; and more. It also has a darker side too such as the Half-Orc race and Assassins, which just adds a little to its "arcane-ness". I also love most of the adventures that were / are written for it (or rather O.S.R.I.C. as far as "are" is concerned).
I often run a hybrid of Swords & Wizardry and 1e, getting the players to download or purchase the Swords & Wizardry rules and then dropping some 1e into the mix, which fleshes things out quite nicely as long as it doesn't go overboard. It's easy to add some more character races and classes, weapon speed to break tied initiative, rules for swimming should the characters decide to take a dip, and some generalised secondary skills in order to flesh out the characters background a bit.

Bill
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Hey welcome Bill!!
And definitely welcome to your good taste - 1e/OSRIC is a great way to play! ;) :lol:
Glad you are here.
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 2/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 3/23/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Hey Bill! Welcome. That sounds like a really good mixture of a game. I've enjoyed the Whitebox FMAG and have played about everything mixed together at one point or another. Currently, I'm having a love affair with Cairn rpg and working on an open table online game.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

I got the urge and got in on the Shadowdark kickstarter, so looking forward to the print rules. I bought all the OSE stuff, but really couldn't get into it. not sure why, just didn't work for me.

But I'm also all in on the new S&W complete and BFRPG 4th ed....

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

So many games, so little time! :lol:

I also backed Shadowdark. Hope to see that arrive soon! Really good stuff...

William

Post by William »

rredmond wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:07 pm
Hey welcome Bill!!
And definitely welcome to your good taste - 1e/OSRIC is a great way to play! ;) :lol:
Glad you are here.
:) Hi rredmond!
Glad to be here :D

Yes I love 1e, though it's not the only old school form of D&D that I have an attachment with. It is the main way that I play though, along with the OD&D vibe of Swords & Wizardry.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

William

Post by William »

jcftao wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:21 pm
Hey Bill! Welcome. That sounds like a really good mixture of a game. I've enjoyed the Whitebox FMAG and have played about everything mixed together at one point or another. Currently, I'm having a love affair with Cairn rpg and working on an open table online game.
Hey jcftao! :)
Yeah it's a fun mix, though I (we) do play "straight" sometimes too.
Cairn. Is that the one that's set in the forest?

Bill

Edit: I've checked out Cairn, and my suspicions were correct - it's set in a strange forest. How does it play? :?:
Last edited by William on Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

William

Post by William »

badams30 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:38 pm
I got the urge and got in on the Shadowdark kickstarter, so looking forward to the print rules. I bought all the OSE stuff, but really couldn't get into it. not sure why, just didn't work for me.

I also can't fully get into OSE. It's very well done but a bit "clinical". The new S&W Complete looks fab, and I will definitely be getting a copy. Unfortunately I missed the kickstarter due to having my head under a rock, but once the hardback becomes available I will definitely be getting one.

Shadowdark is something that I have zero experience with I'm afraid, but It looks very good.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

badams30

Post by badams30 »

William wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:54 am
badams30 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:38 pm

I also can't fully get into OSE. It's very well done but a bit "clinical". The new S&W Complete looks fab, and I will definitely be getting a copy. Unfortunately I missed the kickstarter due to having my head under a rock, but once the hardback becomes available I will definitely be getting one.

Shadowdark is something that I have zero experience with I'm afraid, but It looks very good.

Bill
CLINICAL. That's a great description, totally on point. I want to love it, but I just can't get into it (I wish I'd figured that out before I dropped a bunch of money on the basic and advanced books)
I do like the new S&W, and I've yet to start something new with it, but it is a known commodity for me, so that's a winner.
I waited until almost the end of the kickstarter to back Shadowdark, I really tried to talk myself out of a new system, but I kept seeing good feedback so I begrudgingly went in on it. I've got the PDF, but I'm more of a hardcopy guy, so I'm waiting anxiously for that to arrive.

And I'm sorry Bill, I don't think I welcomed you - but hey - WELCOME! Glad to have you here!