Adventures In Dolmenwood, OSE Rules [CLOSED]

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
merias
Site Admin

Re: Adventures In Dolmenwood, OSE Rules

Post by merias »

I have the OSE PDFs, it is almost exactly the same as B/X, with a few of the well-known errata fixed or resolved in some sensible way. The only things he added new were ascending armor class and THAC0 as options.

monolithic

Post by monolithic »

SIX players! Double awesome.

Thank you merias for setting up the sub forum!

I’ll be setting things up on my end after work late tonight. I don’t want to upset the momentum but keep in mind I’m moving into a new house and I’m busy painting and putting in new wood flooring. As far as the Dolmenwood setting goes, I’m not sure I’ll be going whole hog with the lore. I’ll probably be picking out what I like if anything.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

merias wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:56 pm
I have the OSE PDFs, it is almost exactly the same as B/X, with a few of the well-known errata fixed or resolved in some sensible way. The only things he added new were ascending armor class and THAC0 as options.
I bought the hardcover, it was a bit pricier than my normal purchases, but it was a pretty good quality piece, and I love the layout (and especially the ascending AC.). I really like OSE.

monolithic

Post by monolithic »

Apparently I can’t count. It’s five players, I think...

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

badams30 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:08 pm
merias wrote:
I bought the hardcover, it was a bit pricier than my normal purchases, but it was a pretty good quality piece, and I love the layout (and especially the ascending AC.). I really like OSE.
I skimmed the freebie version, and I also like the layout! Very readable, esp. as pdf.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

mythictom wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:47 pm
badams30 wrote:
merias wrote:
I skimmed the freebie version, and I also like the layout! Very readable, esp. as pdf.
While I'm obviously an OSR groupie, I'm a bit surprised at the hate OSE gets in some groups - Dragonsfoot being one, and a handful of D&D/AD&D ones on Facebook. I mean, it's pretty much a cleaned up B/X that's made much easier to read, reference and get into. My go-to's right now are BFRPG, FMAG and OSE. (in fact, getting ready to re-launch my PbP but in BFRPG rules)

monolithic

Post by monolithic »

I’m glad to see an interest in the game rule set. I’ve vever paid no heed to anything said on Dragonsfoot as they are nothing but drama trolls. OSE is B/X with a much better layout and some of the troublesome quirks are smoothed out.

I put up a OOC chat on the sub forum so we can now the the conversation over there now. Everyone who has thrown in should have access to the sub forum.

Recruiting wise, I’m up to a final tally of six players so I have one open slot available.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

badams30 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm
mythictom wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:47 pm
badams30 wrote:

While I'm obviously an OSR groupie, I'm a bit surprised at the hate OSE gets in some groups - Dragonsfoot being one, and a handful of D&D/AD&D ones on Facebook. I mean, it's pretty much a cleaned up B/X that's made much easier to read, reference and get into. My go-to's right now are BFRPG, FMAG and OSE. (in fact, getting ready to re-launch my PbP but in BFRPG rules)
I have not seen the actual books, but I wonder if the physical format sets off a visceral dislike for some. The small, slim hardcover reminds me of some really cool books I used to get out of the library in middle school, right around the time my buddy loaned me his Holmes rulebook. For me, it tingles nostalgia, for others perhaps it is akin to childish pursuits? Also...pricey! FMAG is like $4.25-ish on Amazon.

The rules themselves are essentially the same as every other clone. (I mean, the actual variations are less than maybe 5% of the rules.) The only glaring difference seems to be layout. Oh, and a lot of the spell descriptions are VERY WELL-WRITTEN. The clarity is quite a shock when comparing with Old Gary's original.

Also re: BFRPG, I never see anyone mention that ruleset. I love their optional rules on the downloads page! Looks useful for some GMs.

Zorram

Re: Adventures In Dolmenwood, OSE Rules [CLOSED]

Post by Zorram »

Hey guys! :wave: It's me again :thumbup: hopefully I don't get in sh!t for this lol But We are looking for adventurers to join us in the Thunderrift FMAG PbP thread! Come join the party :thumbup: