Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone? [CLOSED]

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
mythictom

Re: Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone?

Post by mythictom »

Here's my (preliminary) character concept!

(Courtesy of www.youidraw.com )

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

I particularly like the facial expression. Very evocative.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

connivingsumo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:09 pm
Slip
A hooded, wraithlike thief named Slip. I love it!

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

greyarea wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:27 pm
I particularly like the facial expression. Very evocative.
A little hard to read, with an air of mystery. Part and parcel of the Etch-a-Sketch aesthetic.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

mythictom wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's my kind of humor! :mrgreen:

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

connivingsumo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:09 pm
mythictom wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's my kind of humor! :mrgreen:
Well, I was thinking.... It's 1982. I am in seventh grade. My buddy Jon is going on and on about this game his grandmother/aunt/mom bought him in KB Toys....

What sort of art would I have drawn back then???? :problem:

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

K-B Toys? That's where I bought my first basic set! It was June of 1985, so by then it was the Mentzer Red Box, not Moldvay. As you can see, I'm a bit of a Johnny-come-lately poser when it comes to old school D&D. ;)

Oddly enough, a year or so after I got my Mentzer Expert Set, K-B had a bunch of new old stock copies of the Cook/Marsh Expert set on sale for $5 each. I bought one, naturally, even though I didn't need it. But did I keep it? Nooo...of course not.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 pm
K-B Toys? That's where I bought my first basic set! It was June of 1985, so by then it was the Mentzer Red Box, not Moldvay. As you can see, I'm a bit of a Johnny-come-lately poser when it comes to old school D&D. ;)

Oddly enough, a year or so after I got my Mentzer Expert Set, K-B had a bunch of new old stock copies of the Cook/Marsh Expert set on sale for $5 each. I bought one, naturally, even though I didn't need it. But did I keep it? Nooo...of course not.
My entry into the hobby was via my buddy's Holmes basic book, and gleanings from his well-guarded PHB.

I got my early D&D stuff secondhand from one of my sister's boyfriends. AD&D PHB, DMG, and these four "supplements" that had nothing to do with AD&D (they were Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, and Swords & Spells).

I think my first new purchase was a Monster Manual from a store called Clover for $9.99! I regret selling it. I wish Wizards would sell a softcover PoD of it!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

I first played in '83 and fell in love with the game. I only got to play once before "Curtis" moved away. The following year my friend Eric had the Red Box Set his "weekend Dad" bought him and he had zero interest. This was the first time I saw any books, despite playing once the previous year, so I devoured them one night when I spent the night.

That weekend, or the next, I went to B. Dalton's Book Store in the Northglenn Mall and bought the Red Box Set with my chore money, 1984. All my friends loved playing, but no one wanted to DM so... here I am. Didn't care much for 2nd, 3rd, or 3.5, but did play a bit of Pathfinder and still do; however, 5e has been my big dive back into D&D.

I switched all my D&D campaigns from Pathfinder to D&D5e back in late 2017/early 2018 and have never looked back.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Isn't it something, how vividly we can remember our introduction to the hobby? While my first purchase was Mentzer's red box, I did have the pleasure of reading over my friends' copies of Holmes, Moldvay, module B2 - Keep on the Borderlands and even the AD&D MM in the years leading up to it. I was quite disappointed to discover that my version of the basic set didn't have a copy of B2. Nor did it have encumbrance values for individual items like I had seen in Moldvay. I actually called up my friend who had the Moldvay set, and asked him to read off encumbrances for every item in the weapons, armor and equipment lists. I don't think we were friends after that. Can't say I blame him. I was such a clueless dork.