Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone? [CLOSED]

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
mythictom

Re: Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone?

Post by mythictom »

tumblingdice wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:16 am
Isn't it something, how vividly we can remember our introduction to the hobby? While my first purchase was Mentzer's red box, I did have the pleasure of reading over my friends' copies of Holmes, Moldvay, module B2 - Keep on the Borderlands and even the AD&D MM in the years leading up to it. I was quite disappointed to discover that my version of the basic set didn't have a copy of B2. Nor did it have encumbrance values for individual items like I had seen in Moldvay. I actually called up my friend who had the Moldvay set, and asked him to read off encumbrances for every item in the weapons, armor and equipment lists. I don't think we were friends after that. Can't say I blame him. I was such a clueless dork.
Oh, please. Any REAL gamer would have been ECSTATIC to discuss even peripheral ephemera!!!!!

And I don't just mean the "Random Harlot" table from the AD&D DMG.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Love it! Though I can certainly understand why future editions did away with such a table. Maybe it's because they got away from random encounters/wandering monsters in general. Rik, did 5e bring those back? I mean random encounters, not harlots. :)

My favorite entry is the brazen strumpet. We once used it as the name of the ship sailing for the Isle of Dread. Alas, real life got in the way of that voyage.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I forgot about the Random Harlot table in the DMG! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

I think the word "sloven" came up in a recent episode of JEOPARDY.

Thanks, Gary!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:16 am
"[...]Nor did it have encumbrance values for individual items like I had seen in Moldvay. I actually called up my friend who had the Moldvay set, and asked him to read off encumbrances for every item in the weapons, armor and equipment lists. I don't think we were friends after that. Can't say I blame him. I was such a clueless dork."
Sounds exactly like something I would've done! :mrgreen: I, too, am a clueless dork.

My first game was in Curtis' apartment; it was just he and his Mom. I was 12 and he was 14. He had this board/piece of wood that was 1x6 maybe? Then he had cut strips of cardboard and tacked them to the board to make a maze like dungeon. Outside of that it was all theater of the mind because we didn't have any character sheets or anything. He said I came up against a Bugbear and I had no idea what that was. Sadly, he and his Mom moved away shortly after that and I never saw them again.

When I was at Eric's house and saw the Red Box Set I was amazed there was actually a rulebook, dice, sheets, "rules," etc. When I saw that same red box set in the bookstore I knew I had to save up and get it.
Last edited by connivingsumo on Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am
Rik, did 5e bring those back? I mean random encounters, not harlots. :)
There is some semblance of a random encounter table, but I think it's in the Monster Manual. It's been so long since I've used my books, I've forgotten! :crazy:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

RANDOM HARLOT? Reminds me of my army days in Germany....

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:30 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:59 pm
badams30 wrote:
I should qualify that by saying I was never the ladies man. Shocking, I know. But true.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

badams30 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:09 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:59 pm
badams30 wrote:
I should qualify that by saying I was never the ladies man. Shocking, I know. But true.
Recalling an earlier discussion.....