Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone? [CLOSED]

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
tumblingdice

Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone? [CLOSED]

Post by tumblingdice »

Anyone interested in a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl? Like we're just a bunch of kids rocking the basic set for the first time? No campaign setting beyond the dungeon and a nearby town, at least to start with. No lengthy back stories, because at least one of your character(s) will probably die. No complicated pantheons. Your cleric can be a devout follower of Deity McDeityface for all I care. It's not like he has any spells at first level anyway. Let's just explore the dungeon!

I'd like this to be fun, while at the same time making the dungeon itself serious business. Light sources matter. Encumbrance matters. Mapping matters. Fortunately, meatshields, porters and torchbearers can be hired to attend to some--but not all--of those concerns. I'm even thinking of assigning a caller and a mapper, for added old-school goodness.

We'd use either B/X or WB rules. Posting frequency would be of the busy parent variety, so no pressure.

Let me know if you're interested.
Last edited by tumblingdice on Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mythictom

Re: Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone?

Post by mythictom »

Sounds fun!

Very minimalist!

I'm in!

- Tom

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Great! Any preference between B/X and WB?

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

tumblingdice wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:01 pm
Great! Any preference between B/X and WB?
"Rocking the basic set" smells like BX to me!

Honestly, whichever you want.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

I was leaning toward WB--you know,, when in the S&W White Box forums, do as the White Box Forumians do--though B/X really is my favorite. If we go the B/X route, I'm swapping out Keep on the Borderlands in exchange for In Search of the Unknown. A little tip of the hat to Holmes Basic Set.

If I do White Box, then I'd probably run Tomb of the Iron God. I kind of freaked myself out reading it, though. While it's cool in OSR circles these days to eschew high fantasy in favor of swords and sorcery, the premise is just a little too dark for my taste. Plus, I'm not sure I want the baggage of The Iron God hanging over my head if this were to turn into a campaign. It would raise some difficult questions, like, "What is the relationship between The Iron God and Deity McDeityface?"

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Of course I’m in. I’m itching to run a dwarf.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

This sounds like a good one!
Sometimes, I need to just hit something with a sword.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

BX is my choice.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

Whichever the ruleset, I'll be the Magic-User!

My pc can hold the torch...and I don't think I ever had a character use a ten foot pole!

I want a ten foot pole, dagnabit!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

I'm in - I'll play something - maybe a Thief, but we'll see what the House Rules & Party Composition is first. :mrgreen: