PbP White Box FMAG Thunder Rift [CLOSED]

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
RetroDMRay

Re: PbP White Box FMAG Thunder Rift [OPEN]

Post by RetroDMRay »

Let's have a little back and forth here, if we could please, before we start this weekend if all goes according to plan.
First off, one player ways to only play one character, while others don't mind two. I'm in favor of everyone cautiously only playing one and you pick your favorite of your group to play. That will allow for less record-keeping and more detail, but will mean more caution in choices, as death in the wilds is a very real thing for this game.
What are your thoughts and what will we do as a group here?
Secondly, you each need to decide who will be group mapping and who will be group resourcing. Each player will receive extra XP for it, but that will be a HUGE help to me. It will be first-come-first-served with each of these player roles here, but I'll need your firm commitment. You'll also be submitting sort of an email "report" if you will for it (your map or your record sheet for resources). Whoever takes these, you'll be communicating with the whole team here via email or this board, so please keep up. But I'll say, this is old school for how we did it and it's pretty fun too! 🤓👍
Anything else? Please let me know. Respond here so I know you're tracking with this post please.

Thnx and L8R,
Ray

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

I will play as many characters as needed. If we have enough players for just one PC each, that's fine by me. I'll play the elf fighter/mage then.
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

Barnabas

Post by Barnabas »

I'm in favor of playing just one character, yeah. Mostly I'm posting this to show I'm in the loop on the situation. :D

RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

Persimmon wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:52 pm
I will play as many characters as needed. If we have enough players for just one PC each, that's fine by me. I'll play the elf fighter/mage then.
Cool! 🤓👍

RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

Barnabas wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:03 pm
I'm in favor of playing just one character, yeah. Mostly I'm posting this to show I'm in the loop on the situation. :D
:thumbup: :wave:

lostmercy

Post by lostmercy »

2 characters made! I will have 2 backup character basics ready to pull when I get my first two killed and burnt to a crisp with the strong breeze scattering thier ashes to the four corners of the land - in the first 15 minutes.

:D ;) :crazy:

RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

lostmercy wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 pm
2 characters made! I will have 2 backup character basics ready to pull when I get my first two killed and burnt to a crisp with the strong breeze scattering thier ashes to the four corners of the land - in the first 15 minutes.

:D ;) :crazy:
Lol....nice! I'm thinking you'll make it a week, Coop. Lol No, just dig in and buckle down and hang on and you'll be fine.... likely. :lol:

RetroDMRay

White Box FMAG Thunder Rift Starting known history

Post by RetroDMRay »

Hey guys,

First off, sorry Coop for failing to see I needed to approve you until tonight. 🥴 You're good to go now!
Second, I've added your "known" history journal file into the shared folder. It is the oral, and maybe written down someplace, known history of the Rift starting back in RY 1 (Rift Year 1 - the finding of the Rift). Enjoy the read, ask any questions you might have, and we'll plan on starting out Sunday or Monday depending upon how I feel with whatever bug I've picked up (hopefully not Covid).
We'll run into some procedural things as we begin, which is to be expected. We'll certainly run into questions as well on how this will play out, which is also very expected.. it's ok. :thumbup:
I'll perhaps have to assign someone to map I guess, and someone else to track resources for your group if nobody volunteers first. You'll be responsible for communicating with the other players and cc-ing me on the convo too please in order to get your XP. Ok, that's it for now. :thumbup:
One other thing: When you email me, please start out with your PC name first and your real name in parenthesis after that. That way I can keep track better until I've memorize them all. ;)

L8R,

Ray

RetroDMRay

White Box FMAG Thunder Rift

Post by RetroDMRay »

Okay gang, I think at this point it's safe to say that life, other interests, or something else, is getting in the way for us to all get this going. If it's something on my part I'm sorry for sure. None-the-less, we're at a standstill here with no seeming impass.
Help me out with this. Push forward, or just forget it? Respond here, or in email, or both, which I'd prefer. I'll give it a week, but by next Monday if the majority (4) do not respond, then we'll just leave off and be done...sadly.
I'm sorry for this, but I'm trying hard here to carve this time out and make this work, but it's just not really going in a good direction already, and there has to be complete buy-in/investment/involvement/interaction. Play-by-Email MUST have this or it will fail.
I'm busy with my ministry, family, YouTube, new Podcast maybe coming soon, and other stuff too, so I certainly do get it...it's ok, but let's please just admit that together, and move onward as necessary. Ok?
Thank you all for the cool characters, cool ideas and thoughts, and your investment up to this point...feels good that there's still some of us left out here. Take care, and hopefully talk soon!

Ray

Barnabas

Post by Barnabas »

Hi!

This may not help, but I'll post it anyway.

I'm kind of guessing because I don't have all the information in front of me. I think that there are a few problems with the campaign based on extrapolating your comments and requests on this thread and in the emails.

Please, please correct me if I'm wrong. As I said, this is a guess.

1. There may be some issues with people getting their characters finished and submitted. This is kind of annoying, but I've been there so I don't think it's a deal-breaker. My solution would be to start the game and give the stragglers the final true deadline before we are leaving without them.

2. The DM seems to have some ideas about how the map-making and group accounting will be done, and there are no "takers" on these tasks.

Yeah, I'm guilty of this. I haven't spoken up because I don't really want to do these things and I don't really know how to do them. My solution would be that the DM start these activities and keep them in a Google document, and then we pick up from the DM (I could do that after maybe 2 weeks--if I see what's being done and the expectations, I'm sure I can pick up the torch).

3. There's talk about entering all the characters into a spreadsheet in Excel. I'm not sure if this has or hasn't been accomplished. Personally, for me, I think if all the characters are in a Notepad file, it will be easy to move them to the spreadsheet. There's really not much to my character, just a chubby little middle-aged Halfling thief, so I can enter him into the spreadsheet if it's me that's bogging it down. If it's more than me, then we should all send out our characters as text-only files and anyone can enter the data.

4. This one is going to sound offensive, so I apologize. In my experience, DMs post an idea about a game with a unique twist. Unique rules, unique setting, unique uses of technology. But, in my experience, it always comes down to a bunch of people explaining how their character is going to go hunting for this many hours and what kind of stew they make when they get back. It's all great ideas leading up, but in the end we're left with role-players who have a certain expectation and certain itches to scratch, so whether you're playing Pathfinder or Hero System Fantasy rules or it's on Discord or on Microsoft Teams, it all boils down to the same stuff.
So, we all put our characters together and absorb the idea, but in the end we're just waiting until that moment we're setting up the first camp in the wilderness and who's gathering mushrooms and who's casting Find Familiar.

I'll stop there. This was meant as a light-hearted analysis of the situation and I hope it came across that way. I'm really looking forward to this game.

My final recommendation would be to send out the group thread using the characters that have been submitted, set a final deadline for joining the party, and move forward with who we have. If it feels like not enough when the first step into the wilderness is taken, we could shut it down then.

Thoughts?