Looking for a WhiteBox Sampler

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
Valdus

Looking for a WhiteBox Sampler

Post by Valdus »

I am an ancient roleplayer, Basic Red Box warlord here. I want to set up I am an ancient roleplayer, Basic Red Box warlord here. I want to set up a tabletop game at home (the Carport Company) using White box rules (short, cheap, OD&D, and expandable via S&W) and would like to have an online play experience- either pbp, discord or something else.

Does anyone have an online game going using Whitebox (I saw that two recently closed)? I would GM it myself as soon as I feel the Old School confidence rising.

And to think 40 years ago, I had all the tables of the AD&D books memorized!

merias
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a WhiteBox Sampler

Post by merias »

There are two games ongoing here atm - one is just finishing up and the other is still active and relatively new, so you might PM the moderator of the latter game (badams30) to see if he can handle another player. If you do want to run a PbP let me know and I can set you up. If you haven't run one before, I'd suggest at least reading some of the archived games here to get a feel for them, I ran a white box PbP a few years back (Grimmsgate) that might be good to peruse. I'm considering running another one here soon as well.

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

Curious to know what dice roller yall use.

I bought 5 copies of the white box for my game. Alas how many times has this happened- minute i get them people drop out! Ah the old days, minute I got an expensive hard cover in the 80’s, suddenly one guy got a girlfriend, another got on the team, another got a SEGA system.

It haunts me again!

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

We don't have a dice roller integrated into the forum, most of the PbP refs here do all of the rolls. It's not as bad as it sounds - for this format, it greatly speeds up the action. If needed, we could use the Unseen Servant dice roller.

That's too bad about people dropping out, it's fairly common nowadays in my experience, unless you are part of a steady group. But it's kind of a chicken-and-egg problem getting to that point.

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

Is there a primer for how to roll everything as a GM? I know it sounds ridiculous but I have often wondered how GM’s do it without going mad. Do you report round by round or do the entire combat then report?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I don't know of any primers for the dice-rolling aspect of PbP, but you can get a feel for how I do it by looking at some of the combats in my last PbP game here. Essentially, it's round-by-round with mechanics hidden behind spoiler tags for those who want to see the rolls.

I also wrote a blog post on tips for play-by-post GMing way back, some of the tips there might help.

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

Looking over the rolling, at least in OD&D does not seem that bad at all. I think with 2-3 players I could do it.

I am becoming quite inspired, might run my own sampler.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Players are usually cool with however you want to set it up. I've DMed PbP games where I let folks use real dice at home, or the electronic dice. I've played in games where the DM did all the rolling and showed all the math, or did all the rolling and showed nothing. :)
It's all good in the 'hood and as long as you tell folks up front, it's usually fine by the players as well.

Good luck! I memorized where the 1e tables are in the PHB and DMG, but definitely not the tables themselves! Impressive!!
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 4/16/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

I must confess to those horrible of crimes. I started a game on another play by post site. Oh the shame! I was seduced by steak design and the wonderfully easy dice-roller and quicksilver-like image uploader (ye gods straight to Imgur!). But alas the game is slow, only three players and for most Original D&D is really Old D&D or even Odd D&D. I need a gang of players that will make me huff and puff in the postings.

I am thinking, if this community appears to be as committed and frothy, this is an interest check for a game by yours humble truly.

I am thinking of using Rolz:the_dungeon_book or an amazing smartphone roller "Dice Ex Machina. I will roll for all, if things still get bogged down, I will move casually to off the cuff GMing like a boss.

Regardless, I will begin by using the honor code. All characters can be rolled on smothering wizard rather amazing character generator- present it with honor. But isn't it fun to play a weak character?

Let me know if anyone is interested and we will get the Lost Temple ball rolling.
Last edited by Valdus on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

I’m always up for a new PbP, I’m in if you need a meat shield.