[IC] Dice/Chat room on Rolz?

Post here if you have a question or think we can add a useful feature or new forum topic.
Valdus

[IC] Dice/Chat room on Rolz?

Post by Valdus »

I am enthralled by all this OSR goodness. Also, since its revamp, I am stunned by how efficient and useful Rolz.org has become. Thus...

Rather than follow the cattle (5e) and make a discord channel, I was wondering if a general chat lobby in Rolz.org would serve us better. We would have a wiki, a great dice roller and maybe even the opportunity to play games via chat (yeah, I know, I have way too much time on my hands).

Let me know if there is interest and I can make the room.

jcftao

Re: [IC] Dice/Chat room on Rolz?

Post by jcftao »

It would depend on scheduling for me. I'll take a look at the site.

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

Not just simultaneous, it could just serve as an OSR chat that *might* spiral into actual play.

I use it and linked it to our DCWB game.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Do you mean an OSR chat that represents this board? So a general smoldering wizard chat room? I really don't care for discord, so I'd be ok with something more accessible and less privacy-destroying, but let me take a more thorough look at rolz. Does it allow different channels, or are chat rooms tied to a specific game/table? If the latter, it seems like you would just create chat rooms for your own games.

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

Yeah the latter, so not to worry. Though I wonder if a chat game can be done at all these days.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

DF has a couple of long running chat games. Unseen Servant has tried it a couple of times. I dig PbP but chat is to disorganized and/or fast for me.

Aren't all the Discord "PbP" games really chat games?
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 2/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 3/23/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I was gonna mention DF for chat games...so they do exist, although I think the type of player who likes PbP games would not be interested in pure chat games, just due to the reasons Ron mentions above. But I may be over-generalizing.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

That's a good point though. I like PbP games, but in different ways than I like face-to-face games.
After the pandemic started I tried to start a PbP game with my friends from HS, but that didn't work out. But it quickly became an every-other-week Skype game that's been going strong for over 2 years! But even though I didn't grok chat games, there are people that really love them!
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 2/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 3/23/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

I like them both and would look forward to combining the two.
A group would use chat for 'live' play and play by post for extended play. Use the play by post for backstories and lore, etc.

But if rolz don't work for that, it don't work for that. I just am so enamored by the whitebox experience and this forum, that I just want to expand them both.