Welcome!

General gaming dicsussion
JonS

Re: Welcome!

Post by JonS »

Good morning and thanks for having me. As Woody Allen said, "I don't want to be in a club that will have people like me as members"... but in this occasion, I'll make an exception.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Lol! Welcome Jon, glad to have you here.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Welcome! T'is a good club :D
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 2/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 3/23/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Welcome, Jon! Take a look around and let us know what you enjoy playing.

dfleming

Post by dfleming »

Hullo one and all! Old school dnd fart that got back into it after a 30 year dry spell. Tried 5e with my son’s group, again with a group of work peers and meh, didn’t care for it. But the itch is there. Trouble is I can’t find people to play OSR style games and COVID didn’t help. Thought I’d try play by email or PbP or whatever the latest word/acronym for this is.

Hope to be playing with y’all soon.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

PbP is fun! Welcome!!
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 2/3
Hold Person — 1/1
Updated: 3/23/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Welcome to the forums!

Gabeprime

Post by Gabeprime »

Hello. I've joined a few days ago but I haven't actually posted much yet.

I'm here because of my interest in White Box FMAG. I've been to this forum before but mostly to download cool goodies linked in it. I want to have a place to talk more about WB so I signed up.

A little about me... I started playing RPGs in the late 80s when my cousin taught us how to play a very houseruled version of BECMI D&D and AD&D 1e. When I finally got my hands on the core books for AD&D 2nd Ed, I took over as DM and ran that until the D&D Rules Cyclopedia came out. I then converted our campaign back to BECMI rules and have run that till the mid-90s.

I only came back to the hobby when I found out that OSR was a thing. I don't have to play the latest iterations of D&D and can go back to using the more simplified rules. Basic Fantasy RPG was the OSR game that got me back to DMing. I've introduced two different groups to RPGs through that game (thanks to the popularity of Stranger Things and Game of Thrones).

When I discovered White Box FMAG, I know I wanted to run that game but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to actually do so. Now that people are coming back to the office again, I'm thinking of using WBFMAG to introduce a new group of workmates to play "D&D" and how to play it. I'm hoping the single Saving Throw, small attribute bonus, and needing only a d20 and d6 will make it very easy to teach.

Anyway, looking forward to interacting with you all.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Gabeprime wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:43 am
Hello. I've joined a few days ago but I haven't actually posted much yet.

I'm here because of my interest in White Box FMAG. I've been to this forum before but mostly to download cool goodies linked in it. I want to have a place to talk more about WB so I signed up.

A little about me... I started playing RPGs in the late 80s when my cousin taught us how to play a very houseruled version of BECMI D&D and AD&D 1e. When I finally got my hands on the core books for AD&D 2nd Ed, I took over as DM and ran that until the D&D Rules Cyclopedia came out. I then converted our campaign back to BECMI rules and have run that till the mid-90s.

I only came back to the hobby when I found out that OSR was a thing. I don't have to play the latest iterations of D&D and can go back to using the more simplified rules. Basic Fantasy RPG was the OSR game that got me back to DMing. I've introduced two different groups to RPGs through that game (thanks to the popularity of Stranger Things and Game of Thrones).

When I discovered White Box FMAG, I know I wanted to run that game but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to actually do so. Now that people are coming back to the office again, I'm thinking of using WBFMAG to introduce a new group of workmates to play "D&D" and how to play it. I'm hoping the single Saving Throw, small attribute bonus, and needing only a d20 and d6 will make it very easy to teach.

Anyway, looking forward to interacting with you all.
Welcome! Great to see you on here! If you get the urge you should consider a play by post game on here (running one or joining) and your sage knowledge will be a great asset on the forums. To the regulars on here who aren’t Facebookers, Gabe is one of the moderators of the FMAG group on FB and a great FMAG evangelist.

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

Hail and well met!

Our stories appear similar. I started in 1983 with Red Box DnD. Quickly got into AD&D (we wanted more MORE!) and the ‘live’ hobby died when I moved here to New Orleans in 1992.

Then, only in the last two weeks, I discovered WBFMAG. It reminded me of what I discovered in 8th and 9th grade thanks to Moldvay. It ain’t in a Red Box, but this might be better.

I am planning to run a good ol’ fashioned dungeon crawl on here. Feel free to check it out and dive in.