Chapter 5 Return to Wickersham

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
jcftao

Re: Chapter 5 Return to Wickersham

Post by jcftao »

Tarmo attempts to sneak up behind the ruffian, but the man spies him!

[rolled 5 for thievery=fail]

The man turns to meet Tarmo's handaxe with his club....

and he checks Tarmo's hand axe! [Tarmo roll=8 miss!]

Thorhall takes a mighty swing at the other man....

[roll=15] .....and cleaves him in two!

Initiative...1 ruffian alive...
[ruffian=3, PCs=3 Tie! But Tarmo gets +1 to Init and Thorhall gets -1 to Init, so Tarmo attacks first...]

Tarmo chops at the ruffian with his axe...
[13=hit!] ....the blade cuts into his side....and the man falls dead! [6 damage]

Tarmo and Thorhall stand facing each other, weapons drawn. Both breathing heavily and cautiously observing the other...

OOC--Well done, gents! :D

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Tarmo and Thorhall search the bodies...Tarmo also tracks down the wounded man he first encounter. The man died of his injuries.

All of the men are poorly dressed. They look as if they've been living in the wild for some time. You believe they might be scavengers, subsisting on the edges of civilization, looking for any food they can get. No doubt, both Tarmo and Thorhall would've gone into their stewpots.

The only valuable item is a standard sword. It has a "W" stamped on the blade. It does not appear to be well made, but may fetch a few silver pieces in the town.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"Well met, barbarian, I am Tarmo. I am not sure my help was needed, you wield that sword with skill." Tarmo looks up at the giant man as he speaks, something he is not used to, being taller than most.

He searches the bodies and tries to recover his arrows before fetching his horse. He examines the ruffian's sword, and deciding he cannot make use of it, hands it to Thorhall.

"I am headed to Wickersham to sell these grouse, if we travel together we shall have no more trouble this day, of that I am sure."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Tarmo has no trouble finding the two arrows he shot, for both are stuck in the bodies of his foes. Unfortunately, the shaft of one arrow is cracked. Nevertheless, he retrieves the iron arrowhead for the new arrow he will make.

[roll for arrow recovery, d2=1, one arrow ok]

Thorhall looks around him, his horse seems to have run off during the ambush!

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

jcftao wrote:Saturday, February 27, Wickersham Hospital, nightfall

Slumber welcomes you with open arms. Your wounds are healing well under the care of the kindly woman, Claire.

Milton, you sleep fitfully and open your eyes to see a dark form standing over your bed.

"Quiet...young Rana...let's not wake the others..."

Milton's wide eyes gather in the smallest amounts of light in the darkened hall. He recognizes the voice and the face of Kellan, apprentice to the Castle Wizard, Erlander.

"Have you gotten anything else? What did you find in Dunsley's manor? No items is too small...and I must impress on you the danger of carrying any enchanted objects on your person. My Master will use them to strengthen our defenses..."

Alexander lies still in the next bed, he hears the whispering of the apprentice, but can still make out most of the discussion.

What are your actions?
Alexander holds his breath to not miss a single word being said. Does it sound like Kellan has wicked intentions? Is he speaking in a threatening way? If Alexander senses ill motive, he will quietly reach for his dagger, kept on him at all times, and get ready to jump from his bed and overpower the wizard's apprentice.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Alexander holds his breath to not miss a single word being said. Does it sound like Kellan has wicked intentions? Is he speaking in a threatening way? If Alexander senses ill motive, he will quietly reach for his dagger, kept on him at all times, and get ready to jump from his bed and overpower the wizard's apprentice.
The apprentice's words seem to switch from threatening to dripping with honey and then Kellan's words begin to take on a cadence...and you find yourself not paying much attention to the words and more to the repetitive sounds...

Milton's croaking voice begins to repeat the urgent demands of Kellan, "...must bring you enchanted items....defense of Wickersham...safety of the townspeople..."

The Rana then coughs loudly and from your half closed eyes you see him shaking his head and mumble, "No...I have nothing to give your master."

Kellan abruptly stops, stands up gathering his robes and swiftly retreats from the room.

Actions?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton's pissed and looses two arrows at the apprentice, looking to shoot his legs out so he can't run anymore (the arrow version of the flat of the blade, I suppose). ;)

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

greyarea wrote:Milton's pissed and looses two arrows at the apprentice, looking to shoot his legs out so he can't run anymore (the arrow version of the flat of the blade, I suppose). ;)
Milton fumbles around in the hospital infirmary looking for his weapons...apparently Claire has moved his weapons to a safer location. She has even taken your clothes to have them properly laundered.

By the time Milton finds something (a chamber pot) to heave at the retreating figure, he has gone through the doorway...too bad!

If you wish to chase him down, please let me know your plans.

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

"Greetings archer. I appreciate the help. As payment I will split whatever coin I get from this bandits sword with you."
Thorhall looks around to see if he can spot his horse somewhere in the distance.
"It appears my horse has left me. I would gladly accompany you into town. I fear that one of the cowards got past my armor with his club and I feel the pain still. I may not be as effective in battle should we come across more of those bandits."
Thorhall wipes the blood off his sword on the upper half of the severed bandit and then sheathes his blade.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Thorhall reasons that his horse shouldn't be too far, having run off during the fight. It takes but a short walk up the road to find the horse nibbling on some vegetation.

Grabbing the reins, the giant man swings himself up onto his mount. Tarmo joins him in the ride back to Wickersham.

A farmer stops by the side of the road as they near the town. He looks at the horses both men ride and calls some of the other field hands.

They talk among themselves.

Tarmo had been to Wickersham in the past and knows that in this part of Cormandy horses are very scarce and a prized item to hold onto.

The walls of the town of Wickersham loom ahead. The castle with its high battlements look mighty, yet on closer inspection, the whole of the town seems crumbling and broken.

Actions?