Hi all, & my ability check rules

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
S'mon

Hi all, & my ability check rules

Post by S'mon »

Hi everyone!

Here's my D6 ability/skill check system for White Box, based on that used for the Thief.

Ability Checks by Character Level
Thief Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User Success (roll equal or less on D6)
1-3 1-4 2 + Attribute Modifier
4-6 5-8 3 + Attribute Modifier
7-9 9-12 4 + Attribute Modifier
10-12 - 5 + Attribute Modifier

So eg a first aid attempt rolls a D6 modified by WIS, breaking a door rolls a D6 modified by STR.

merias
Site Admin

Re: Hi all, & my ability check rules

Post by merias »

Welcome S'mon! I like this, it's a really simple way to do task resolution and still take abilities into account, without having to list individual skills. I tend to use d6 rolls a lot for various random tasks, but usually make it up on the spot. The drawback with that is the players never know what they have to roll until they try something, and the roll target might change between sessions.

S'mon

Re: Hi all, & my ability check rules

Post by S'mon »

merias wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:23 pm
Welcome S'mon! I like this, it's a really simple way to do task resolution and still take abilities into account, without having to list individual skills. I tend to use d6 rolls a lot for various random tasks, but usually make it up on the spot. The drawback with that is the players never know what they have to roll until they try something, and the roll target might change between sessions.
Thanks Merias!