Race as Class

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
cbarchuk

Race as Class

Post by cbarchuk »

Hey Doug, are there any changes that you would make to your race-as-class house rules? I'm trying to put together my own FMAG/BX game after reading several of your articles. I am simply enamored with only using a d20 and a d6. Pure gold in my view. But I do like race as class so I wanted to make sure there weren't any changes you would add. Thanks again Doug. Sorry I'm blowing up your site with all my comments. :lol: Look out for a few more. ;)

merias
Site Admin

Re: Race as Class

Post by merias »

No worries Chuck! You are speaking of this post I believe:

https://smolderingwizard.com/2017/07/03 ... white-box/

and no, I don't think I would make any big changes. I'd change the Halfling's outdoor hiding ability to 5 in 6, rather than 90%, although they are about the same % chance I like the simplicity of d6.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Sweet. Yep I already changed the halfling hide skill to a d6. Man I love me some d6's. :D I also changed the dwarven underground expertise to a 1-4/1-2 as is in the main rules.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Hey Doug,

I had another question that came up concerning your race-as-class post you did. The Dwarf gets a +4 saving throw bonus vs. Magic. By level 10 the Dwarf would never fail a saving throw vs. Magic again. I assume that is the intent?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:00 pm
Hey Doug,

I had another question that came up concerning your race-as-class post you did. The Dwarf gets a +4 saving throw bonus vs. Magic. By level 10 the Dwarf would never fail a saving throw vs. Magic again. I assume that is the intent?
I didn't think about it, but I'd just rule that there is always a 5% chance of failing a save. So regardless of your save number, a natural 1 is a failure. You could also make their bonus +2 vs. magic instead.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Cool. I actually thought about making it a +3 for both the Halfling and Dwarf.