White Box: FMAG Errata and Updates

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
The Wanderer

White Box: FMAG Errata and Updates

Post by The Wanderer »

Hi Folks,
I recently spoke with Matt Finch and Bill Webb and we came to the agreement that I need to put a S&W Compatibility logo on the rule books. So that means I will have to do an update to every book and PDF at the three sites; RPGnow, Lulu and Amazon.

This needs to be done soon. So I'm looking for any updates or corrections that need to be made to the game. So far the updates I have planned are:

Correcting the Turn Undead table descriptions of monsters to match HD.
Adjusting the HDE/X.P. listings for each of the monsters to a standard.

I'll be going through the book with a red pen, but I would appreciate any feedback you all have.

Thanks!
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

The Wanderer

Re: White Box: FMAG Errata and Updates

Post by The Wanderer »

Oh and I should mention, I have to do this before the Quick Start so this will delay the Quick Start for a bit

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

On Combat, page 36 under Step 2:

Change the third bullet point from "keep turn order" to "roll initiative"

On page 37, "How Initiative works", delete the word "first" from "At the beginning of the first combat round..."

The above has existed from through all printings of White Box; it was first changed in the 2nd printing of Core in March 2009.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

I really don't understand the need for a "logo". As far I can tell, White Box complies with the S&W Compatibility-Statement License. (S&W White Box, 3rd printing, p. 120)

The only one that might be questionable is the inclusion of "House Rules" or "Variant Rules" near the title. However, since your title isn't "Swords & Wizardry White Box" this shouldn't be a problem.

The more changes and the more text that is rewritten the better. You should try to decide on changes that you think are best. You should not be held back rigidly using Matt Finch's house-ruled interpretation of 0e.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

Change "Demon, Baalroch" to "Demon, Balor". Delete the first sentence and remove "Baalroch" references.

This is example of flavor added that I find unnecessary and obtrusive to the original D&D lore.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Shadow Demon wrote:I really don't understand the need for a "logo". As far I can tell, White Box complies with the S&W Compatibility-Statement License. (S&W White Box, 3rd printing, p. 120)
Like I said above, I had a phone conversation with Matt Finch and Bill Webb and we came to an agreement to add it to the cover.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Shadow Demon wrote: Change the third bullet point from "keep turn order" to "roll initiative"

On page 37, "How Initiative works", delete the word "first" from "At the beginning of the first combat round..."
Yup, I have this already marked to change. I will add the language you used to update it.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Shadow Demon wrote:The more changes and the more text that is rewritten the better. You should try to decide on changes that you think are best. You should not be held back rigidly using Matt Finch's house-ruled interpretation of 0e.
I don't really have the time to do a substantial change at this point. I want to fix mistakes and make a few simple updates and then leave it alone.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

The Wanderer wrote:
Shadow Demon wrote:The more changes and the more text that is rewritten the better. You should try to decide on changes that you think are best. You should not be held back rigidly using Matt Finch's house-ruled interpretation of 0e.
I don't really have the time to do a substantial change at this point. I want to fix mistakes and make a few simple updates and then leave it alone.
That's fine. I just didn't want you to be held back on changes that you want to make due to some "tradition" from the previous printings.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I have achieved what I set out to do; which was to make a nice, more professional looking White Box. After this update, I'll let the book go and do updates once a year, on its anniversary of release (August). So there will always be a nice looking and updated White Box that is completely compatible with the original version.

Down the road, probably in 2018, the plan will be to release my own version of White Box that will be in full color and have more substantial changes (hello Balor, goodbye Baalroch) including a brand new name. But do not worry, I will not introduce any changes on the level as the Hero's Journey, it will still be fully compatible with WB but it will have a flavor all it's own.