Converting monsters from AD&D and BX

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
cbarchuk

Re: Converting monsters from AD&D and BX

Post by cbarchuk »

Good idea. Yea I've never fought too many 15HD monsters either...lol. What about the damage? With its AD&D stats it has 2 attacks both doing 3d6.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

That's one of those monsters that it makes sense to give multiple attacks to (like the hydra). A 15HD crab is really big, for comparison the original cloud giant was described as 20' tall and had 12+2 HD, and did 3d6 damage with thrown boulders.

On the other hand, Greyhawk lists the giant crab as doing 2d6 damage per pincer, but no indication to HD. So it's up to you - but 3d6 seems reasonable for such a large creature. If that seems too much for your group, maybe you could cut it back to 10HD and 2d6 damage for each claw? Or maybe just leave it and see what they come up with as far as clever ways to avoid or defeat it. Old-school gaming is never about balance after all :) .

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Very true. I'm not going to water down this monster. I'll let the party figure it out...lol. What's funny though is I played a thief in this adventure and a 15HD monster in BX only had a THACO of 9 or +10 to hit. So it was actually easier to fight in BX.