Alternative Weapon Damage

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
cbarchuk

Alternative Weapon Damage

Post by cbarchuk »

Wanted to post another take on weapon damage. These aren't my ideas but I did tweak them a bit for my own games. So if the + or - 1 to damage isn't doing it for ya then try this.

Light/Small Weapons 1d6L = Roll 2d6 and take the lowest
Normal 1d6
Heavy or 2-handed Weapons 1d6H = Roll 2d6 and take the highest

Nothing original but I've been really digging it as of late. Cheers.
Attachments
Weapon Damage.pdf
(63.15 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

merias
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Weapon Damage

Post by merias »

Hi Chuck, thanks for posting this! I've seen variations on this idea before, mainly on two-weapon fighting, and I think one of the Blueholme revisions used this idea for differentiating small-medium-large weapon damage.

Thinking about it, the average damage will be higher when rolling with advantage, but the maximum possible damage will be higher using the d6+1 roll. So not that much different, probably boils down to personal preference.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Cool. Yea I've really been digging it, and you're right, the overall damage is higher and its noticeable. Lately I've been play a lot of FMAG and wanted to do something different with the weapon damage. I'm running my son through B10 using FMAG and its been a blast. I'm really starting to love using only a d6 and a d20. Very elegant and fast. Cheers.

ratmanof

Post by ratmanof »

I still like to use bit more different dice in the game, so I have lately tested such version:

Small, easily concealed weapons do 1d4 damage (mostly those doing 1d6-1 in whitebox).
Most one-handed weapons (and staff) do 1d6 damage.
Large, two-handed weapons do 1d8 damage (mostly those doing 1d6+1 in whitebox, but i added flail to those).

To balance all that I also use following rule modifications:

1) Character classes get different dice to roll HP per level - wizard d4, cleric (and thief) d6, fighter d8.

2) Monsters gain HP and do damage based on their size - tiny (smaller than halfling) 1d4, medium 1d6, large (ogres and bigger) 1d8.

For me it keeps it simple enough, varied enough and balanced enough :)

Valdus

Post by Valdus »

The moment I saw that clerics did not have spells at level one, that they are accolytes, I saw all level one characters as something of newbies. Level 0 in some other books?

In my TT game, I plan on explaining to the players, that at first level ALL weapons do 1d6 simply because the characters are not experienced enough, or strong enough, to know how to get the full power out of their weapon.

Tis my first house rule!