My White Box Classes *Updated* 8/24/23

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
cbarchuk

My White Box Classes *Updated* 8/24/23

Post by cbarchuk »

Hey Doug,

Merry Christmas. Just wanted to leave my updated White Box Classes pdf for anyone that may be interested. Cheers.

Includes:
  • Attributes description
  • Weapons List
  • Monster Damage
  • Form-fillable Character Sheet
  • Class List
UPDATE August 24, 2023
Here's the most recent version of my White Box Classes PDF
Last edited by cbarchuk on Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

merias
Site Admin

Re: My White Box Classes

Post by merias »

My own preference is to give human fighters a +1 BHB at first level, and tweak the chart for them to make it a bit more aggressive at higher levels (1/1/2/3/3/4/4/5/6/7 - this gives a bump at levels 4 and 8 which were Hero and Superhero in the original game). The other classes I leave as they are. My rationale is to give people more of a reason to play the vanilla human fighter. You have a +2 BHB _and_ the STR bonus applying to missile weapons for 1st level fighters. So that gives a +6 to-hit for short-range missile fire if a newly minted fighter has a DEX and STR bonus. Seems too powerful to me (Halflings are meant to be deadly archers and even they max out at +5 with a DEX bonus at short range).

I notice you also have a +1 BHB for the other classes at level 1, was this modelled after BFRPG? I think it works in that game because unarmored AC in BF is 11, not 10 like in most AAC systems, so giving all PCs a +1 BHB effectively makes that AC 10 for their attacks. So you could adjust the AC chart by one like BF does and keep your charts.

Thief skills - I see that starts at 3 in 6, instead of 2 in 6. I think I'd stick with the FMAG chart for thievery, and add a +1 if they have a DEX bonus for certain skills like traps or locks that DEX might affect. Or maybe use a 2d6 roll if you want more range and the ability to go up every level. That said I don't think it makes too much of a difference.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

I lowered everybody just a wee bit. I really want to buff things here because I found in my games that characters were missing A LOT. I don't want to approach BX or BFRPG levels but I do want to get somewhere in the middle.

Fighter 0/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

I'm thinking of just removing the whole idea of the Fighter adding their STR bonus to missile attacks. What do you think? Instead I may just give them some kind of basic weapon specialization like in the Omnibus. Or simply give them the +1 to hit at level 1 as you suggested.

Cleric 0/1/1/2/2/3/3/4/4/5 Slight buff over RAW
HD is still slightly lower from RAW

Thief Same as Cleric

Magic-User 0/0/0/1/1/1/2/2/2/3

Demi-Humans 0/1/2/3/3/4/5/6/6/7
Last edited by cbarchuk on Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

To be clear, whatever makes your games fun for you and your group is correct!

I would say, however, that players missing a lot can be mitigated somewhat by tactical considerations. A 1st level PC BtB hits AC 7[12]/leather on 12 or higher - not too bad actually, given that most humanoids have AC 7. So small bonuses make a difference. Allow bonuses for attacks from the flank as well as behind, or when two or more PCs attack the same target, or clever use of ambush from elevated positions, or surprise or missile fire. You can also allow non-magical "mastercraft" weapons (call it an inheritance at character creation), that give +1 to-hit but no other bonuses.

I actually like the fighter adding STR bonuses to missile attacks - Complete has this rule, and it comes from the Greyhawk supplement. I think it was just over-powered given your +2 BHB at first level. So do one of the BHB increase or the STR bonus, not both would be my suggestion.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Thanks Doug. I appreciate that. I don't want to completely alter the power curve of the WB experience. I just want to buff it slightly. But your points on tactical considerations are spot on. My players are younger so they tend to not think that tactically...lol. But I do get what you're saying. So leaving my "reworked classes" as is let's see what we have:

Level 1 Fighter with a 15 strength & 15 dexterity using a long sword & short bow

+1 Melee AB / +1 damage
+4 Missile AB (Short Range) / +1 damage

Level 1 Halfling Scout with a 15 dexterity using a short sword & sling

+0 Melee AB
+5 Missile AB (Short Range) with a Sling

So at level 1 the Halfling Scout would still have a better chance to hit assuming lucky stat rolls for both. A halfling in BX would need an 18 dexterity in order to start with a +5 to hit or a 14 THACO.

Level 5 Fighter with a 15 strength & 15 dexterity using a long sword & short bow

+5 Melee AB / +1 damage
+8 Missile AB (Short Range) / +1 damage

Level 5 Halfling Scout with a 15 dexterity using a short sword & sling

+3 Melee AB
+8 Missile AB (Short Range) with a Sling

What do you think? I'm not sure if this is good or not...lol. What are the best levels to compare classes to each other? I guess this is what happens when you're compressing the power curve between 10 levels.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Seems reasonable now - honestly how many PCs get to 10th level anyway? I've always found the sweet spot around levels 4-5, so I try not to worry too much about higher levels and balance.

I typically compare by XP, not level when comparing different classes.

Just curious, how old are your youngest players? When my kids were young (6-9) I did not worry so much about a real old-school experience. I used S&W WB and just went with whatever seemed fun at the time, even if I had to fudge a few rolls or make enemies a bit weaker.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

So true. Heck the highest level I ever got in a BX game was 7. So yea 1-10 is the sweet spot for sure and I just love using only a d6 and d20 for everything. Something very elegant about it. Anyhow my son is the youngest and he's 8 and loves playing D&D which makes me very happy. And fudging the rolls is something I've become quite good at. :)

Now I lowered the HD a tiny bit for the Cleric & Thief since I improved the AB. Do you think that's okay? Or would you change it back to RAW?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

That's so cool he loves playing :).

I would just keep the HD at RAW, I think a few extra HP won't hurt anything.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Just adding the final touches here Doug. I noticed in your houserules you give Elves a +1 to hit with bows as well as being able to move freely while shooting. Do you think that should be added back in? Or just keep the hereditary foes feature? Just wondering which would be more OD&D-ish.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, Hereditary Foes is quite good.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Yes the hereditary foes is quite good. I don't do the +1 for Elves with bows any more, I think the hereditary foes is good enough. The latter comes from Chainmail, along with the immunity to ghoul paralysis. There was also a bonus to Elves' attacks with magic weapons in Chainmail, but I'd just leave it as-written in the WB rules I think.