OOC Thread

Basic Fantasy (BFRPG)
badams30

Re: OOC Thread

Post by badams30 »

I'm going to post some background and some info on a couple towns and what you know prior to first post tonight. Rik, you've got time to buy some stuff, and everyone else can make tweaks once I post some background. If you are looking for some fodder for your short background, this might help:

The general idea here is a slight (okay, not slight.) TOTAL railroad. You are all from the more civilized lands to the to the south, many days journey by boat, and you you have arrived at the small seaside village of Deepwater, after a rough voyage through terrible storms. The East Reaches are a rough and tumble frontier-like area, once the site of an old civilization that (apparently) disappeared or retreated for unknown reasons many years ago.

With the colonization of the Reaches, the Duke oversees a handful of villages and more smaller settlements, and a burgeoning trade menu from these fertile and resource-rich lands. Despite the wilderness and wild nature of the area, encounters with monsters or the like have been few and far between. Not wanting to press his luck, the Duke hasn't done much to push the boundaries of the land out much past where the settlements are now, so aside from the known locales, everything is a big question mark.

You've heard rumors of wealth, opportunity, and the call to serve the realm, so you've decided to pack up and head to the reaches to try your luck. Each of you have heard rumors (and yup, I'll supply those to you) and this has contributed to your choosing to follow this call to possible adventure.

If you have questions that I can answer to fill out your backgrounds, let me know.
If you could do a quick one sentence background minimum, please do. You can choose to have met one another on the boat, or we can leave introductions to when you all meet ashore. I'll provide each of you with a rumor (or multiple) and some may dovetail with your background. If you have a unique idea as to what you are doing here, or something special, PM me and we can discuss. The one thing you all know is that this area is ripe with opportunity, adventurers are few and far between here, and that the Duke and his forces are are frequently hiring.

Here we go!

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Just waiting for Brother Quisby to chime in. If we don't have a Quisby sighting by later today, I'll just NPC him for this round.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

I'm still working on my character. Today she should be 100% done to the extent that I know how to roll one up. Xyla was still missing like HPs, AC, modifiers, etc.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

FYI:
The Reaches are kind of seen as a sleepy backwater due to the general lack of conflict, enemies, and general goings on. The populace are the split between the pioneer/settler or the sedate villager types - an optimistic, hardy and resourceful bunch. They are tough, but very peaceful, and generally don't think outside the confines of their villages or cities. Due to the size of his realm (which is largely wilderness) the King (who lives back in the comfort of the civilized land) only has a relative skeleton crew of troops in the reaches. They are spread very thin, and have limited resources. Each village is expected/required to have a militia of able-bodied to defend and come to the aid of the duke if needed. The militias are that in name only, and very few do regular drilling or have any experience with a weapon. Almost none of them have ever been in a fight. Each village and city can elect a mayor or leader (the title is moot) and a sheriff/constable or in some cases may have a Duke-appointed authority figure responsible for oversight. Where the military of the civilized lands is very rigid, has distinct uniform standards and could be called crack troops, the reaches' garrisons are more lax and laid back, and some adopt uniform standards of the locales where they are based. This isn't to say they are poor troops, but they don't compare favorably with the Kings men back home.

With this being more like the Waltons than The Walking Dead, the Reaches haven't really been a place where adventurers have flocked to, and there aren't many home-grown adventurers to be had. Most of the influx to the area has been prospectors, farmers, woodcutters and people looking to cash in on the untapped wilderness. The one thing the reaches has is resources. Gold, silver, gems, old growth timber, fertile land, etc. Tales of ruined cities, lost mines, tombs, and bedtime tales of untold treasures from old civilizations are what draws adventurers to the Reaches. Until recently, encounters with other races and beings have been few and far between. The duke knows there are other intelligent beings out there (and some bad guys) but they've generally kept to themselves, as have the settlers. There are no native dwarves or halflings here, but a relative large number of them have come here from abroad. There are rumors of elves to the northeast who are ancient and have been here for millennia, but if so, they haven't made their presence known to anyone. As a result, adventurers are a curiosity and rarity here. The populace has a favorable view of adventurers, and wherever they go, they are noticed and subject to curious glances or questions. Priests have a willing and eager populace here, and there is a shortage of priests as a general rule. So clerics are treated with respect and sometimes awe. Magic users are extremely rare, and there are no magic schools or sources of formal magical training here. That's not to say there aren't wizards here, but they are not conspicuous, and while they are not met with hostility, most folks have a healthy fear of magic and mystical things, and tend to shy away from wizards unless they know them. It's not known if any thieves guild is in the Reaches, as most cities are small and everyone knows each other. Wherever there are people, there are shady dealings, but thievery is a non-issue here. That being said, the populace takes a hard line on law and order. Thievery is frowned upon, and subject to varying levels of frontier-style justice on occasion. Fighters are heroes here, and are regarded with awe and attention. One of the easiest ways to make a name for yourself is to be handy with a sword and strong (it's easy for the locals to relate to...)

Due to the sedate nature of the locals, and the low-impact settlements, they non-human inhabitants of the reaches have generally kept to themselves. There have been reported sightings of things like griffons, owlbears, dragons (though none verified, thought to be rumors) and encounters with goblins, kobolds, lizardmen, and even ogres and giantkin. But aside from some very minor things (like goblins stealing cattle or crops) there haven't been any reports of concern that have made it out of the Reaches. Interestingly, in the last couple of years, encounters with what civilized people would call "monsters" have increased a bit, and this has been a cause of concern for the Duke. He has requested more troops from the king, but his calls for aid have been continuously denied. As a result, the Duke has put out a call for adventurers and swords for hire in the Kings lands. Most ignore these requests, because of the sleepy, unexciting reputation of the Reaches. But the lure of the unknown and opportunity to make a name for oneself is what draws most to this place.

As newcomers, you know all of what I've listed above from rumors, heresay and chatter from the voyage over. I'm starting a thread for rumors and information where we can keep information that might be handy later or easily lost in the threads.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

I'm assuming you'll be at the inn long enough to have a few drinks and overhear some chatter. Being adventurers, people will approach you to ask you about who you are and where you're going, so if you are friendly and buy a drink now and then I'm just going to post the rumors you pick up just to save time. We need to get some background here and meet a person, but I don't want to belabor the town interactions unless you all have specific business to attend to. You came to adventure, so that's what we're going to do!

I'll just say if you drop 4-5 gold in drinks, you'll get rumors and some admirers in Deepwater.

NOTE: I don't intend Deepwater to be where you'll be really starting off, that'll be in the vicinity of Fair Bluff. That's where its hip and happening. (and where I have a bunch of adventure threads.). NO PRESSURE THOUGH.....

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Team,

I think we could do Rumor #1 & Rumor #6 at Fair Bluff, woodcutting halted & sabotaged traps, at the same time ~ maybe get a "two'fer-one." :mrgreen:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Was just waiting to make sure everyone had posted - I'll make a post tonight or tomorrow, last call for actions before you set out.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

connivingsumo wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:31 pm
Team,

I think we could do Rumor #1 & Rumor #6 at Fair Bluff, woodcutting halted & sabotaged traps, at the same time ~ maybe get a "two'fer-one." :mrgreen:
Crickey! I didn't realize I posted this over a month ago!! :shock: Day after tomorrow would be 5 weeks. :crazy:

badams30

Post by badams30 »

connivingsumo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:28 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Team,

Crickey! I didn't realize I posted this over a month ago!! :shock: Day after tomorrow would be 5 weeks. :crazy:
Your character takes 6,000 points of damage, and loses one CHR point.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:46 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:28 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Team,

Your character takes 6,000 points of damage, and loses one CHR point.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was talking to my team/companions. :shifty:

As if the 6k dmg wasn't enough - I lose a point of Charisma just in case! For good measure!! :lol: :lol: