OOC Thread

Basic Fantasy (BFRPG)
connivingsumo

Re: OOC Thread

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:45 pm
I've never tried the point buy thing, but [...]
I know the Point Buy system well because I use it constantly. It yields the same values (point wise) as the Standard Array; the difference is you can tweak the numbers, but if you choose to have two scores of 15, then you're going to have another stat that suffers significantly, for example.
badams30 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:45 pm
[...] I was kind of intrigued by the old way of doing it - the roll em' in order and you just go with it.
merias wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:55 pm
I love the idea of 3d6 in order, full stop. Play what you get. Nowadays I make the small concession [...]
Yeah, right - me too - from 1983, Old School all the way. :problem: Except that it's not at all practical for anyone outside of old-school/hard core gamers/role players, of which I am none.

This is the equivalent of saying, "I love the idea of cleaning the enter house every day, full stop. Keep it clean, period. Nowadays I make the small concession to clean it once a week." because it's practical.

I do, however, think it would be fun if everyone in the party was doing it. But, based on "rolls" I've seen in forums, few, or nobody is frigging doing that, despite what the rules say. I know I'm a sh!tty roller (hence my preference for the array/point buy) and others have fantastic rolls, but the folks I see in PbP games should really just hang out in vegas and be wealthy because their rolls are - consistently - unreal. But, ya, if everyone was doing it - it would be fun.
Last edited by connivingsumo on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

Regarding the house rules for class perks.....

Recently, I was contemplating the same ideas for games. Nearly all of which match yours!

Some thoughts....

I think your suggestions for Fighters and Thieves are excellent.

For spell casters:

I think free casting is best for pbp...just to keep the action moving! Clerics have a limited choice, and MUs have to shell out gold for bigger spellbooks....full of spells they may never cast?

Are you familiar with the playtest 0-level Spells document at the BFRPG website? I love it! It is basically 90% Gygax's old cantrips, reorganized, condensed, with a bunch added on. I would add your Arcane Bolt to the list and then run it like "Choose X cantrips every day to use an unlimited number of times."(like in Pathfinder and 5e). The only one that would break the game is Cure Minor Wounds (make it once per day per character, and problem solved!)

Also, there is the Holmesian Create Magic-User Scrolls at first level solution, which requires gold to be useful.

Lastly, depending on how much you invest in religion for your campaign, the clerics could get a small perk based on religion. Ex: Mishakal grants a CLT once a day, Thor grants weapon focus with hammer, St. Michael allows sword proficiency, Azuth lets a cleric replace one spell per day with an MU spell, etc.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

mythictom wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:30 pm
I think free casting is best for pbp...just to keep the action moving! [...], and MUs have to shell out gold for bigger spellbooks....full of spells they may never cast?
This is a really good point.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

merias wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm
badams30 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Other classes: There are a few optional classes in BFRPG, and I haven't really looked too deeply at them, but if anyone sees one they are interested in, let me know.

Anything else: Not promising anything, but if you have an idea, run it by me. Maybe we'll try it. Maybe not. I'm open to ideas.
There are the combat options and magic-user options supplements that have a lot of ideas and may be worth perusing. Also the druid and illusionist classes recently underwent some major revisions and I think are very playable now if the GM is ok with those classes :) .

https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads. ... ts_classes
Oh! I missed the link in your post. Thanks for sharing that! :mrgreen:

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

connivingsumo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:10 pm
merias wrote:
badams30 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 pm
Other classes: There are a few optional classes in BFRPG, and I haven't really looked too deeply at them, but if anyone sees one they are interested in, let me know.

Anything else: Not promising anything, but if you have an idea, run it by me. Maybe we'll try it. Maybe not. I'm open to ideas.
There are the combat options and magic-user options supplements that have a lot of ideas and may be worth perusing. Also the druid and illusionist classes recently underwent some major revisions and I think are very playable now if the GM is ok with those classes :) .

As a crowdsourced game, there also a ton of ideas in the forum. Some of it is horrible, but there are some good ideas in need of refinement and playtesting.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

mythictom wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:22 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:10 pm
merias wrote:

As a crowdsourced game, there also a ton of ideas in the forum. Some of it is horrible, but there are some good ideas in need of refinement and playtesting.
I hear you there. The site D&D and Beyond is an example of what you're saying for 5e. I try to steer my players away from using that site to build their characters for my games because they include Play Testing material and Home Brew material, and unless you know the system well, it's hard to tell how to filter that out or when a filter fails.

I haven't been able to poke around as much at the sources you and Merias have listed, but I hope to do more in the next couple of weeks. Badams30 was wanting some feedback on his houserules, which seem great, but for "input" there's like so much out there it's hard to digest if you're new to the system.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. I’d like to try something new but also keep this easy peasy.

I’ve been a little bogged down with some projects the last week-ish, and I just need a couple free hours to put some stuff down so we can get moving.

Thanks for your patience. Especially Rik. That guy is a walking powder keg of “let’s get moving!”

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:38 pm
Especially Rik. That guy is a walking powder keg of “let’s get moving!”
:lol: C'mon on now... a couple o'skellies here and there is hardly a powder keg; you must know, if you were going too fast I'd have the same kind of memes to give you a hard time. :mrgreen:
Last edited by connivingsumo on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Hey guys! Room for one more? I'd be happy to play a fighter.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

tumblingdice wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm
Hey guys! Room for one more? I'd be happy to play a fighter.
Of course! I’ve been swamped this week so I’ll get this moving by the weekend!