Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
greyarea

Re: Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

Post by greyarea »

Fungo digs into the stew. He eats like a hobbit possessed.

When he finishes his bowl, he asks, What can you tell me of this Sir Terrance and his mighty knights? I've heard naught of them in the Kettle. He also holds out his bowl hoping for seconds.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Burl sits down on a bench and lits his pipe, "Well, there's three kinds of folk around here. Common folk like myself. We do all the labor...cutting wood, farming, raising pigs and sheep. Then there's the religious folk. They are the ones that put them yellow signs on certain trees. Our people follow Eos but also respect the laws of the Green Man. In the forest, the Green Man is the law giver. His priests mark trees that are somehow significant to the Green Man. I've been chopping wood for twenty years and I still can't make sense out of what trees are considered sacred."

"Aethelwine is one of the priests. He marks a section of trees for us and then we cut out what he sees fit for us to cut. He also settles disputes about law, protects the forest, and protects us from the forest."

"Now, the Knights of Nye are the rulers of this land." Burl looks all around him before he continues, "They are lords of the forest and much of the land around here...all in the county of Nye. I don't mean to disparage anyone, but those knights...well ...they are just plain weird. They spend most of their time drinking and feasting in Beamish Hall and the rest of the time hunting in the forest for the Jabberwocky. I've never seen one, myself, and I don't want to. There are folks that claim it don't even exist. But I do know for a fact that there are other things in the forest that'll kill you quick. The least of these are the Jub Jub birds. One blow from their boney skull can kill a man."

"So, like I said before, stay on the path if you are looking for Lord Terrence. Beamish Hall is a few miles to the northeast...just follow the edge of the forest....and be careful."

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo says, in the same conspirator tone, Beware of what? Just the Jar Jar Binks you says will kill us with their noggins? Or are there worse things than that? My pappy told me to beware of tigers, but I think he just used that to keep me in bed after dark. He’d say, “Stay in bed or the tigers will et ya. Now I’m gonna go wrastle with your momma, but the tiger will be in the hall, so stay put.” I still think, to this day, that he mistook tigers for bears, which are like tigers except different.

Does Allthewine live with Lord Torrence? Maybe he knows where we can get this Rowan wood the elf wants so bad.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Burl blinks slowly looking at the hobbit. "What a strange person you are..."

"The forest is filled with dangers. You make humor of the Jub Jub birds, but they are just the beginning! Be careful in the forest, little man. You may end up on the tusks of the Mome Rath or worse yet...get flayed alive by the frumious Bandersnatch!"

"Most likely is that you'll be robbed by bandits or the knights will throw you in the dungeons of Beamish Hall."

"You'll be beggin' to be back in your bed with that tiger scratchin' at the door."

"Aethelwine lives in the forest. He isn't too keen on feasting with the knights. He lives beyond Beamish Hall. Ask someone when you get there. They will point out the path."

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

I make humors of nothing, replies Fungo, indignantly. Neither bike nor phlegm will I give to Jib Jab Bards nor Butchered snatch.

He then storms off in a huff only to return to get another bowl of soup and sit back down, eating it in huff.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Erwin helps himself to some stew and listens with amusement to the Hobbit.

"That was delicious, you have my thanks," he says to Burl. Then to the others, "Well, what say you? Shall we go and see this Lord Terrence?"

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Bizenghast: Sorceress
The Magic-User says nothing, and sips the stew slow and quiet. Her eyes are scanning everything in the room, all around her, and the people she meets. She listens to their words intently, as if to memorize them.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Burl replies, "Well, eat your fill before you go. If Lord Terrence is in an ill mood, this may be the last good meal you'll have in a long time."

"If you leave now, you'll probably make it before nightfall. The road to Beamish Hall is well marked and relatively safe until the wee hours of the night."

"Otherwise, your group can camp here. We have a couple spare tents you may make use of. The other men will be coming back from logging before dusk."

Actions?

OOC--I'll be leaving for Gen Con this Thursday and taking my son, (Son-of-Sod) along. We are both looking forward to it. I'll will check the play by post at Gen Con and answer if possible. Otherwise, I'll be back in action on Monday. Thanks, everyone.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"I say we leave now, unless anyone objects," Erwin says.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

I object, says Fungo confrontationally! Wait, I mean I do not. I mean if objection is your goal then you have none here, so your object is my predicate and my subject is your verb. So no objection here!

If we wait then we risk it all. We should leave now, like Elvin says!

Was there whisky in this stew?