Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
jcftao

Re: Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

Post by jcftao »

Sigga Grimstone dunked a rag in the water barrel then handed it to Roger. He gingerly touched it to his head, wincing as he did so. Erwin and Moonglimmer looked on with concern.

This wasn’t the first time that someone in the village was strong-armed. Those that did it were nothing but knaves.

It was midday in the village of Rumpstone. It would have been a good day for Roger, but now he was missing his horse, his wagon, and his shrubbery. Roger held his head and hoped that the rest of the day would not be so bad.

The four people standing around the village forge followed their own path to this village, where their paths converged.

Sigga Grimstone, the dwarf, came out of the Five Kings mountains to the north. A wandering blacksmith, moving from village to village, forge to forge. Sigga is considering turning around and going back to the mountains.

Erwin Dirtnap was born in Rumpstone, and if he can help it, does not want to die there. He has heard the call of Silvanus, the Green Man, and knows that the time has come to learn more about the god.

Moonglimmer Honeysuckle, like Sigga, also comes from the north. Her small tribe of wood elves live on the edge of a haunted forest called the Geist Wald. She seeks knowledge that can help her tribe prosper once again.

Roger, the Shrubber, has lived in Rumpstone for as long as he can remember. Longer than most of the villagers want to admit. The village elders try to hide Roger when any authority figures ride into town. He tends to upset those in power by asking complicated questions, often resulting in a knot on his head. Roger only wants a day...just one day...where he is winning for a change.

Together they have become friends. Rumpstone isn’t the worst place to be, but no other place comes to mind.

There is a single road that runs through the village, north and east, and a well worn trail leading southwest into the forest.

The four are broke, not a single copper between them. Even so, there is a feeling of optimism. Today is a turning point for them all.

Actions?

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/12vy ... sp=sharing

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

"Surely, that is a nasty knot on your head, Roger" Moonglimmer says with a gentle pout.

"But I am truly worried about your purloined shubbery!" the elf added with a smile. "It must be kindling by now. Or added to some heinous hedgerow of that den of thieves."

Still smiling kindly, she asks her friends, "Should we try to find the ruffians before they hurt someone less hardy than the Shrubber?"

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

"By the Stone!" Sigga grumbled out loud, giving the pretty elf a baleful look. "No one gives two shites about a damn ficus or two! Especially no brigands hereabouts. Only things worth a damn were the horse and wagon...and that ol' horse was two, three days 'way from winding up in me soup!"

Sigga gave Roger a look of both disgust and sadness. A rising anger was starting to boil inside her. "I can't abide these bandits taking away a man's means of honest living, even if Roger 'ere's the worst kind of shrubber me own eyes has ever seen."

"No, I can't have it!" Sigga growls. "I'm for finding these hooligans and give them a righteous hiding. Then we take back Roger's horse and wagon. Who's with me?"

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"I'm almost certain my good friend Roger deserved his lump, and the plants we can replace," Erwin says with a grin. "But I agree, stealing a man's horse and wagon is too much, especially when it's all you have. Roger, which way did the bandits flee? Or maybe you were swooning and did not see?"

If Roger does not know which way the thugs ran off with his stuff, I'm thinking we can check with the locals.

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

Oh it's hopeless! *Roger kicks the dirt beneath his feet.
They made off with my best shrubbery, *Roger gestures towards Sigga you know the one with the little path down the middle.
Roger seems to remember Sigga commenting on how she liked that style of shrubbery some years ago, revealing to him that she did infact have a kinder side to her... Though he's probably mistaking her for his cousin Dennis who would often comment on the beauty of his shrubberies.
They're probably long gone by now the damn cowards. I don't know if we'll ever find my precious shrubbery again,
*Roger looks up at the group with a gleam of hope in his eye
but if you three would accompany me we could certainly try.

Maybe we could even spare some other ambitious entrepreneur the same fate which befell me!

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

"Let's save the shrubbery!" Moonglimmer cheers.

"And the cart and horse too, " she adds with a nod to Sigga.

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

Roger, mentally retracing his staggard steps, says
Well if we're going to do this we should go back to the place where I was robbed.
He points to the north while scratching his aching head
I was in Shorne which is just a couple miles that way. I think those bandits may be hold up there.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Moonglow steps lightly down the dirt road, humming a tune off key. Sigga strides forward, purposefully. Any witness to this would see that she means business.
Erwin gathers up his walking stick and follows along. Tagging behind is Roger the Shrubber, still nursing his bump. He stops to think for a moment. He wants to tell the rest of them something, but can't seem to remember what it was.

Erwin knows that the village of Shorn is about two miles north as they follow the road. The morning has worn on into midday. No traffic seems to be moving along the road. As the group leaves Rumpstone, they see farmers working near their barns. It is the first week of late spring and shearing of the sheep is almost finished. Summer will be here soon. Erwin thinks it a funny coincedence that they are going to a village named Shorne. He hopes that they won't be shorn in Shorne.

About an hour of walking and they arrive. The village of Shorne is about half the size of Rumpstone. Most of the village is comprised of thatched huts. One hut sits hard by the road. A faded wooden shingle hangs by one rope from the post near it. A crude painting of a Lion lying near a lamb marks this rundown tavern...The Lion and Lamb. No horses are tied outside, but the sounds of men can be easily heard from the windows and open door. Several children hang around the front porch of the tavern. They point at Roger and whisper amongst themselves.

Actions?

Area Map https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/12vy ... sp=sharing

Village of Shorne https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1swS ... sp=sharing

Code: Select all

Party Status
Erwin Dirtnap C1, AC 10, HP 6, staff
Moonglow Honeysuckle E1, AC 11, HP 7, wooden spear
Roger the Shrubber F1, AC 10, HP 7, no weapon
Sigga Grimstone F1, AC 10, HP 8, war hammer

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

"Hello, wee ones," Moonglimmer beams as she approaches the children.

"Do you know my friend, the Shrubber?" The elf nods toward the man lagging behind. "He says he was here recently and there was a kerfuffle."