Chapter 4 ~ Back to Beamish Hall

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
badams30

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Back to Beamish Hall

Post by badams30 »

Otis - FIghter

Otis advances as quietly as he can, focusing on the growling, and keeping an eye out behind the party, and above...

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Bizenghast: Sorceress

Bizenghast also quietly follows behind the group at a slight distance from the leaders (20'ish); she also tries to focus on the sound of the growling and see if it's at all familiar to her.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The growling does indeed sound familiar. You remember it from your last visit to the ring fort.

The path to the east is narrow, about five feet in width. The path rises climbing to a central point in the fort.

You can see a circular opening surrounded by more ancient ruins of stone masonry...dwellings of the long dead inhabitants of the fort.

A stone pillar stands in the center of the opening, the surface of it covered in weather worn markings.

Standing near the stone monolith is a humanoid creature, his features resemble the hobgoblin creatures you dispatched earlier, but he is of smaller stature with a long graying beard and hair with blue stones and copper bands woven into it in braids. He holds his hand up and leans on a gnarled oaken staff. He nods and bows lowly to the party and then speaks in an accented common, "I am Claudius, sentinel of the standing stone. I bid you welcome...I mean you no harm and pray you do the same."

Actions?

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

Does Moonglimmer recognize the creature or its accent?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis seems surprised when the creature speaks and he's able to understand him. He nods and says "Hello, Mister Claudius. I'm Otis. Otis of Guyre." He allows the others to continue any conversations with this fella. He'll keep a watchful eye out just in case of any treachery, but for some reason, he wants to trust this odd guy.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo slips into what shadows he can find.

herself

Post by herself »

Susanna, terribly confused, looks to her right and left to take her cue from the others. She'll lower the crossbow, but keep it loaded and ready.

When he speaks, does the growling stop?
Beyond the Borderlands, Susanna Clank

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

herself wrote:Susanna, terribly confused, looks to her right and left to take her cue from the others. She'll lower the crossbow, but keep it loaded and ready.

When he speaks, does the growling stop?
Yes, you hear no growling when Claudius speaks. On the contrary, his voice is pleasant to the ear with a musical quality.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

badams30 wrote:Otis - Fighter

Otis seems surprised when the creature speaks and he's able to understand him. He nods and says "Hello, Mister Claudius. I'm Otis. Otis of Guyre." He allows the others to continue any conversations with this fella. He'll keep a watchful eye out just in case of any treachery, but for some reason, he wants to trust this odd guy.
Claudius looks at Otis with a keen eye, "Well met, Sirrah. I trust you are the leader of this impressive band of warriors? Wouldst that I had made your acquaintance before you so quickly dispatched the guards at the entrance. It is just as well, they were a cruel lot, keeping me confined within the bounds of this dreary hill fort. I am free now to wander wither I will. I leave to you, this ancient fortress and all the treasure you may find. Just keep watch for any barrow wights....oh and those damned hellbats...I despise those ill tempered flying rats.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis looks around when he mentions leader and shakes his head, "Oh no, Mister. My momma told me I was better at helpin' out than tellin' people what to do. These are my friends, a real nice bunch." He frowns at the mention of the guards. "Oh. Yeah, those guys out front weren't very nice. Say, how did you know what happened? And is there anyone other than them barrow-whatsies, and bats? I heard there was big ogres in here too maybe..." Otis suddenly realizes he's asking too many questions and he quickly says "I'm sorry, I forgot my manners. Want something to eat? Where will you be heading too?"