Chapter 4 ~ Back to Beamish Hall

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
connivingsumo

Re: Chapter 4 ~ Back to Beamish Hall

Post by connivingsumo »

jcftao wrote:Claudius smiles at Otis's questions about bats, ogres, and barrow wights...but takes keen interest in Bizenghast's boldness.

Turning to her, he bows gracefully and says, "My captors wished for me to remain here within this fort. I've always been guarded by at least one of them at all times. When you attacked the guards at the gate, my jailer ran to help his kin."

"Young miss, I see you have magical knowledge within you. And you travel with a magical creature (he nods towards Moonglimmer). I am a sentinel, more of a glorified watchman than anything else, I suppose....
but I am old, my knees are achy and my back is bent under the heavy toll of time. No more shall I do the bidding of another, my time has come to take another path."

"This standing stone beside me is a marker of ancient magic...not powerful in its own right, but it serves as a sign post to a sizeable fortune and magic knowledge...enough to keep all of you in fine comfort for the rest of your lives. The wizard that set this here has long since died, leaving his fortune to any able to decipher the standing stone and follow the clues. Riches are no temptation for an old man such as myself, but I will help you decipher the stone. What you do with the knowledge is up to you, I will be traveling south shortly...I hear the climate is warmer and sunny shores await beyond the sea."

Claudius turns to examine the standing stone and he studies the symbols..."See this one here? It tells of a hidden passage within this very ring fort! Look...this part is the key to open the door..."

Claudius's voice grows soft as he tries to follow the faint scratches on the stone.

Actions?
Bizenghast: Sorceress

Knowledge-Arcana! Out of self-obsession, Bizenghast steps again to Claudius, interrupting his concentration just as she realized the significance of what Claudius described, his experience here... "My heart's desire is you remain here and help me, help us, unlock these secrets." Momentarily lost in her memories, she places her hand on his old and tired shoulder, "I am sorry for my selfishness. I was a prisoner in the Harridlands, a slave of the Harridans. That is a torturous fate I wish upon no one, so... I wish you freedom, Claudius, happiness and freedom."

Like a child entranced by a Christmas Tree, the Sorceress stares and studies the stone and its runes, taking mental notes on which Claudius identified and their functions.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Claudius smiles and laughs softly at the young magic-user's words.

With a nod of his head, he stands tall and exclaims, "I remember now! Watch closely!"

The old looks at the standing stone and utters a a sharp phrase, "G'nar Tua Kratult Aka!"

In an instant, there is a blinding flash, the sharp crack of thunder, and a smell of brimstone and then all is dark.

A few moments pass while your eyes adjust to the darkness. You are standing in a forested clearing, the air is cold and crisp. A dark forest surrounds. Through the trees comes the light of a full moon.

Claudius is next to the standing stone and all of you are in the same positions you were moments ago...it is as if the backdrop of a stage has been changed, leaving the actors to begin a new act.

Actions?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo looks about, confused. So, it's probably a longer walk to Beamish Hall from here, right? he mumbles out loud.

herself

Post by herself »

jcftao wrote:"I will be traveling south shortly...I hear the climate is warmer and sunny shores await beyond the sea."
Susanna wonders what the weird old man is on about. This is very much not warmer or sunnier.

She peers at the figure of Claudius closely. Did he really come with them too?
Beyond the Borderlands, Susanna Clank

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"You were just talking of a secret door in the ring fort, and now this... where are we, Claudius?" Erwin asks.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis looks about in utter fascination. "Wow. That made my belly feel funny."

He stands by, waiting for instructions on what to do now...

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

Moonglimmer looks to the sky. Is the moon at the right phase? Any stars visible? Are the constellations right?

Did she recognize the language Claudius spoke? Has his appearance changed?

Are the trees the same species? Height? Age?

The elf tries to examine as much as possible as quickly as possible before reacting too hastily...

Is Attercop nearby?!!??!?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The stars twinkle brightly in the clear night sky. They look almost too bright as if painted on a black canvas backdrop. The full moon hangs high in the sky and casts light down onto the forest, illuminating the white birch trees surrounding you.

Moonglimmer can hear the questioning chirp of Attercop nearby.

Claudius turns toward Erwin, "I haven't been entirely truthful with you, human. You and your companions are now in the fey realm. I have brought you here to serve my king. You need not be alarmed, the fey realm is not so bad. There is plenty of wine and good food, it is eternally spring here, and the hunting...yes, we have some of the best sport here. I'd think you would enjoy it if you were the hunters. The unfortunate bit is that you are all prey. My advice to you is to RUN!"

And with that, Claudius winks out of sight. You can still hear laughter fading away through the forest.

Actions?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo says, I still don't trust that Claudia. Now, can anyone here use the stone to get us back?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis stands confused, looking about, perplexed by the sudden change of scenery and subsequent disappearance of this Claudius figure. He turns to the others and mumbles "Uh... what's goin' on? I don't get it."

OOC: Otis stands waiting for some clarification on the situation and what he should be doing....