Chapter 8 ~ Into The Ways

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
tumblingdice

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Into The Ways

Post by tumblingdice »

Bengar rushes through the side door as quickly as possible, heedless of what danger may lie on the other side.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Bizenghast... from her 'best' strength... gives up. She cannot continue. <read on>
jcftao wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 am
The wizard points the way and the journey continues. Yet, she continues upon her own direction...

All around you is darkness and the blackness of the open sky -yet, an empty sky- and it feels like a heavy blanket over you. You pass some buildings as you continue. Some are intact, but the broken shutters and doors hint at emptiness. Other buildings are mere ruins and the soot blackened remains a tale of past tragedy. {it's true - much of this doesn't make sense, but - then again - we're in a realm where not much makes sense.}

The little Sorceress succumbs to the forces around her. Despite her slavery, despite her courage... she cannot continue.
Last edited by connivingsumo on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

Maybe the Bear will snack on Bizenghast!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

mythictom wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:21 am
Sounds good ~ more useful.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Yikes! :shock:

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

I hope that Berlioz didn't eat poor Bizenghast. She will be missed.
I think she proved her usefulness with many well timed sleep spells.
She slept the fey hobgoblins at the ringfort and also slept most of the fey hobgoblins at the Welcome to Eversprng party!
Not to mention, being the key to activate the standing stone.
So, in all, she was pretty useful.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Odimus looks back upon the fallen Bizenghast, "Oh, dear!"
He stoops to examine her. "The poor thing's heart stopped. She was too fragile for The Ways. I've heard it happen before."

"Well, gather her up. We can give her a proper burial at least. I know of a nice glen in the woods. Sunlight falls there and wildflowers grow in profusion. I think it is the least that we can do for the poor lass."

"After that, I intend to go home. You are welcome to stay for a short while to collect yourselves. I'll not turn you out while you're in mourning. Pity though, I was going to teach her how to use the standing stones to get you close to home..."

OOC~I'll be moving the thread to a new chapter. This is a good breaking point if anyone is needing to take a break from our game. Please do so if you need to. I'll be posting Chapter 9 shortly.

Thanks, John

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

mythictom wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:21 am
Right... exactly why she won't be joining.

Honestly, considering the amount of effort I put into the character, this just kind of sucks.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

I say Biz comes back as her namesake: a ghost. She could have most of her usual abilities/powers and then be working on her ghostly abilities: cause fear, walking through walls, invisibility, etc. Those could level up as a ghost might.

I say she comes back like this:

Ghost
Requirements: dead
Prime Req: same as in life
HD: same as in life. Character returns with same HP
Max Level: 10
Armor: None
Weapons: special*
Languages: same as in life

Ghosts are the returned versions of PCs. They retain the spells and abilities they had on death, however they advance from now on as a ghost. They remain with the party they died a part of and it is through their faith and love that it persists.

Ghosts cannot don armor nor can they use weapons. They have instead intangibility and cause fear.
  • Intangibility: Character gains ability to have weapons pass through with no harm starting at 7[12] and descending[ascending] by one every two levels (so AC 7[12] at levels 1 and 2, AC 6[13] at 3 and 4, etc.
  • Case fear: as per spell. Must make a to-hit. At level one this is a hand-to-hand attack. At level 3 it is ranged but only one character attacked per round. At level 6 it can affect 1d6 HD enemies in a ranged attack, at level 8 2d6 HD enemies, and at level 10 3d6 HD enemies. Starting at 5th level, cause fear also causes 1d4HP damage per ghostly level as fear can be a serious shock to the system.
XP advances as cleric. Saving Throws as cleric. HP as MU. To hit as thief.

Ghosts cannot use potions or other magic items.

When a ghost hits 0 hit points, it "fades" and cannot act until it is reconstituted by the love of its companions (aka, once combat is over). A ghost takes hits as per usual: normal weapons doing half-damage and magic weapons acting as usual.

At third level, a ghost can become invisible. Invisibility lasts # of rounds as ghostly level. Attacking resets invisibility.

At fifth level, a ghost can heal wounds as per cure light wounds. Every two level adds d6+1 to heal.

At seventh level, a ghost can invade dreams of the living. If a living person is asleep, the ghost can invade the dream and hopefully gain insight, knowledge, or that person's plans. Chance to gain insight: 30% chance at 7th level. 45% at 8th level. 60% at 9th level. 75% at 10th level.

At tenth level, a ghost can be done and go on to the afterlife. A ghost in the afterlife can return to help companions but cannot advance.

Just something I threw together: the DM could of course change as needed. I'd love to see Connivingsumo or anyone else play this. :)