Chapter 9 ~ Odimus of Isprey

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
herself

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Odimus of Isprey

Post by herself »

“Huh,” Susanna says. “That’s a really good idea.” She now thinks of Otis as a strategic mastermind!
Beyond the Borderlands, Susanna Clank

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"I have no oil. But I am for killing a troll. Let's gather that driftwood and get the fire started."

Erwin helps to gather driftwood and will build a fire at the shore of the pool.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo helps start the fire. It wasn’t always burning since the world… never mind.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Bengar has no oil, either. If he can find a spare piece of driftwood--not presently part of the fire--that can serve as a torch, then he will begin heating the tip until it glows bright orange. Whether it will stay hot and orange between here and the troll's flesh remains to be seen.

The dwarf cannot be certain if, one day, when he and the party are gone, this fire will still burn on. And on. And on. And on.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Sammich Buttonchubb

Sammich reluctantly hands over a pint of oil. "I only have one left and it's for my lantern... or a cooking fire!" Giving Otis' strategy more thought... "Maybe I should stay on this side of the fire? If the creature decides to come up through this pool and charge the flames I can fire at it."

1 pint of oil deducted from character sheet.

Master Baker, Chef, part-time Archer, armchair Boyer/Fletcher
+ Arrows = 39
+ HP: 12
+ AC: 6 [13]
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 (missile weapons)
+ Zen Archer ~ Allies are safe when I fire into combat
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

It takes a short while but you manage to collect enough driftwood for a fire. Bengar, being most experienced with tunnels and such, knows that a fire in the pool cave is going to smoke a bit.

If you decide to do this, it doesn't take too long and you have a nice pile of wood in front of the cave pool. If none of you carry firestarting tools, Sack will be obliged to loan you his. He won't go into the cave.

The other passageway is quiet.

Also, Moonglimmer has searched the smaller cave (the dead end) and found no secret passages.

Actions?

OOC--in researching this, I learned that people should NEVER burn driftwood. Evidently the salt soaked wood gives off dioxin or other harmful gases. Anyone know of this?

herself

Post by herself »

Ive heard that too!

Susanna will wait till Otis is ready, and then they will head towards the stalactite passage.
Beyond the Borderlands, Susanna Clank

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

While the others start a toxic fire in an enclosed space, Fungo explores the other tunnel (with stalactites and stalagmites).

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

greyarea wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:44 pm
While the others start a toxic fire in an enclosed space, Fungo explores the other tunnel (with stalactites and stalagmites).
(Poison kills trolls too. Just sayin'.)

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Bengar will stay with Sammich in the room with the fire, torch at the ready (or spear if creating a torch from driftwood wasn't successful) in case the troll breaks through. With any luck the dwarf and halfling are short enough to avoid much of the smoke.