Chapter 9 ~ Odimus of Isprey

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
merias
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Odimus of Isprey

Post by merias »

jcftao wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:19 pm
The church of St. Brendan's is situated on High Street above the waterfront. The building is larger than any church that Erwin had ever seen. His hometown of Rumpstone only had a small wooden chapel that a traveling friar would use.

This church was whitewashed with vaulted ceilings, large wooden beams, and tall stained-glass windows. The building was built by shipbuilders. Many lay people were in St. Brendan's as Erwin walked into the building. A short middle-aged man in priest's robes walks up to Erwin and studies him, "Yes, my son, what is it that you seek?"
This is ... wonderful. I have never seen such a grand church. Perhaps you can tell me of its history? I am Erwin, a travelling Cleric of Silvanus, and I am accustomed to one-room chapels, so you can understand my sense of wonderment.

My companions and I have agreed to help find the missing townsfolk, but I fear we may run into trouble and need more healing than this humble servant of the Green Man can provide. Would you have available any healing balms or potions? I offer a donation to your worthy church of Eos in any case, such as I can afford.

Erwin will spend time with the man if he wishes to talk. If he has no potions, Erwin will offer 20sp to the church as a donation.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

merias wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:06 am

This is ... wonderful. I have never seen such a grand church. Perhaps you can tell me of its history? I am Erwin, a travelling Cleric of Silvanus, and I am accustomed to one-room chapels, so you can understand my sense of wonderment.

My companions and I have agreed to help find the missing townsfolk, but I fear we may run into trouble and need more healing than this humble servant of the Green Man can provide. Would you have available any healing balms or potions? I offer a donation to your worthy church of Eos in any case, such as I can afford.

Erwin will spend time with the man if he wishes to talk. If he has no potions, Erwin will offer 20sp to the church as a donation.
"I welcome any allies of Eos to St Brendan's Church. Silvanus tends to the natural world as Eos shepherds his flock. I am sorry to say that no healing balms are available. I do instead offer you some healing herbs in the hope that it helps you find the missing fishermen."

The priest gives Erwin two small packets of healing herbs. "Brew these in a tea or in an emergency, chew them. They are bitter, but will help restore your vitality. Eos protect and bless you on your mission."

He gladly accepts your 20sp donation.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The next morning, the sound of drums and pipes fill the courtyard of the keep. The garrison is awake and soldiers make preparations for the day. The adventurers are fed in the barracks hall. Gruel, hot and plenty of it, is paired with a cup of mead. Loaves were shared and crocks of freshly churned butter were set on the long tables.

The captain of the guard comes into the hall and following him is a hobbit dressed in a cook's apron. "This is Sammich. He's been helping in the kitchens until a group of mercenaries could be mustered. He's with you now. He's a damn fine archer...a better cook, but a fine archer indeed. Eat up, a patrol boat is waiting at the dock..."

Actions?

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

"Hello, Sammich, I am Moonglimmer," the elf says before gesturing to each member of the party.

"The humans are Otis, Erwin, Susanna, Hadrian and Torus. Then we have Fungo the hobbit and Bengar the dwarf. The cat is Guyot and the bear is Berlioz. We are a motley crew and welcome you to join us!"
Last edited by mythictom on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

jcftao wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:59 am
The captain of the guard comes into the hall and following him is a hobbit dressed in a cook's apron. "This is Sammich. He's been helping in the kitchens until a group of mercenaries could be mustered. He's with you now. He's a damn fine archer...a better cook, but a fine archer indeed. Eat up, a patrol boat is waiting at the dock..."
A pudgy mouth quietly whispers, "Well..." A pudgy face grimaces, "That's a fine 'Howdy-ya-do!'" The Halfling mumbles ripping off his apron with embarrassing disgust, "Eh... bit o'warning there next time, Cap.?!" Annoyed, the Hobbit invisibly thrusts his apron to the ground, massaging it - nonchalant - under the nearest table with his foot. Demanding the crowd's attention, he YELLS "HELLO!!" The intentional dramatic pause... "My name is Sammich Buttonchubb!" He scans the crowd, "You... have entered my dining." A corner of his mouth curls a smile, and with a soft finish "Prepare for pie."

Yes, you cannot resist nor deny... roll a Saving Throw vs Delicious, -5.

Archer & Chef
HP: 12
AC: 6 [13]
Super sneaky
To Hit: +3 (missile weapons)
Zen Archer ~ Allies are safe when I fire into combat
Arrows = 40
Last edited by connivingsumo on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 11 times in total.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo greets Sammich enthusiastically! Sammich, you wouldn't be a Buttonchubb of the Kettleshire Buttonchubbs, would you? Do you have a cousin named Frogurt? Ran a dessert store? I loved that place. Can I try your food? I'll show you everything about these guys. We'll be buds!

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

greyarea wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:25 am
Fungo greets Sammich enthusiastically! Sammich, you wouldn't be a Buttonchubb of the Kettleshire Buttonchubbs, would you? Do you have a cousin named Frogurt? Ran a dessert store? I loved that place. Can I try your food? I'll show you everything about these guys. We'll be buds!
SHOCKED to see a fellow spirit from the Shire of Eyre, Sammich - in a surprise attack - embraces Fungo! Though Fungo is relatively the same height he can't seem to match the strength and weight of Sammich. "YES! Yes I am!!" Sammich, acknowledging the codeword 'Frogurt,' slips Fungo a 'welcome cupcake'... THE cupcake. Sammich whispers... "Fear not, my brother, I know how to prepare these; I've mastered the recipe." As he pulls away from Fungo's ear, he wryly smiles and 'winks' adding, "Even alternate recipes, because - you know - when on the trail you can't always procure the same ingredients!" Sammich hisses an endearing shrill.

Looking again to the crowd, left arm raised, index finger extended, Sammich enforces "My Pie is like no other!"

Archer & Chef
HP: 12
AC: 6 [13]
Super sneaky
To Hit: +3 (missile weapons)
Zen Archer ~ Allies are safe when I fire into combat
Arrows = 40
Last edited by connivingsumo on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis smiles and nods a greeting at the energetic hobbit, managing a pitiful "Howdy. I'm Otis... Otis of Guyre..." Before the little guy is on to chatting up Fungo. Otis looks over at Susanna and says "I'm not sure what he's about... but I'm guessing it's something about pie."

Otis sits down to eat, wondering what culinary masterpiece is coming his way...

OOC: Otis has gathered all his gear and is ready to leave when told to.

EDITED OOC TEXT
Last edited by badams30 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

OOC...Otis did not get his shield yet.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

jcftao wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:05 am
OOC...Otis did not get his shield yet.
Whoops. Got ahead of myself. If he'll be without shield for a few days, he'll see about getting a spare from the garrison till his is done, or barring that, he'll buy a sturdy used one on the cheap....