Alternative map for S&W Grimmsgate module

Homebrew settings, house rules, adventures, maps, art
ratmanof

Alternative map for S&W Grimmsgate module

Post by ratmanof »

Thought I would share my work with the community.

I love the Grimmsgate module by Matt Finch, with minor tweaks its a very good start for fresh players in Swords & Wizardry (or any other Old School game). One of the problems for me have been it’s dungeon map - it's layout is a nuisance for DM (how many feet was this corridor?) and it is way too complicated to draw by description by a noob player.

So I took half a day and using Excel analogue on my home PC I redraw the map. It is noob beginner player friendly, easy to draw by description and easy for the DM to quickly use. The logic and most dimensions of the original were retained, and I managed to correct some minor errors IMHO.

Added both pdf and jpg versions for ease of printing.

Feel free to use and comment :)

As it is my first attempt in digital map making, be gentle...
Attachments
GG map 4.pdf
(357.79 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
GG map 4.jpg

merias
Site Admin

Re: Alternative map for S&W Grimmsgate module

Post by merias »

Very nice @ratmanof! I ran Grimmsgate here as a PbP, and agree it is a very good intro module. I did not mind so much the map's quirks, as I was just showing the partial map directly in the posts as the players explored, however I could see the players having difficulty with it playing tabletop or video chat. It is also hard for the GM to describe in places. So this is an improvement for sure.

One suggestion - if I were to use this I would print it out, and in that case a plain white background is best. But that is just an issue if one wants to print it.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Very nice! I don't have the module, but it's on my to-buy list. Thanks for sharing the map!

ratmanof

Post by ratmanof »

merias wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:16 pm
One suggestion - if I were to use this I would print it out, and in that case a plain white background is best. But that is just an issue if one wants to print it.
Good point, I will definitely do it one day, when I redraw the maps. I will then add proper signs for doors (empty rectangles) and secret doors ($). But so far it works well for me and I kinda like the nostalgic blue feel of a map (like in those old days)...