B1.1 - Beginnings

Exploring the elder, esoteric Lands and Environs of the D&D Wilderness. When we have time.

Moderator: tumblingdice

User avatar
tumblingdice
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm
Location: Southern NH

B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by tumblingdice »

Day 1. Common room, Hook & Hatchet Tavern, City of Yarrrik, early evening

Halfway down a narrow, crooked street called The Shambles, business at the Hook & Hatchet Tavern is beginning to pick up for the evening. A few day laborers come straight from the temple, still under construction, to wash away the sweat and dust of a hard day's work. Brother Bertram is among them.

Some stouter patrons--Fauk and Tor--have just tucked into their first pints of the evening. Whether they are celebrating the success of their latest exploits, offering their services to the temple's construction, or here for some other purpose, who can say?

Around the corner, a young mage, Spellman, closes up his master's magic shop, The Vanishing Hare, for the night, then makes his way into the tavern, quickening his pace as a light rain begins to fall. A hooded lady (Slip) sits by herself, her face unseen.

Ralen the tavernkeeper, sweat beading on the brow under his thinning hair, is hard at work behind the bar keeping his patrons well watered and in good cheer. While a few day laborers frequent the Hook & Hatchet, most of its clientele are of the adventuring sort. The tavern in general, and Ralen in particular, is a great resource for leads on mercenary work, dangerous but profitable undertakings, and fools' errands.

The tavernkeeper makes a note on a slip of paper in front of him, and then looks up. Ah! Welcome lads! Ma'am. Glad to see you, glad to see you. You got here just in time from the looks of it, too. Supposed to rain all evening. What'll you have?

As Ralen waits for your orders, a man hurries in from outside, soaked to the bone. He pushes his way up to the bar, then draws out from under his wet cloak a dry wooden scroll case. He rises to his full height, then stares intently at Ralen, clearly hoping to get the tavernkeeper's attention.

Actions?

User avatar
connivingsumo
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by connivingsumo »

Slip
Image

The 'Scout' lowers her hood, "Wine, please."


Scout, Tinkerer, and Cartographer
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 5
+ AC: 5
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
When possible, Slip will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.


User avatar
greyarea
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by greyarea »

Tor asks for more drink and asks if the town guard are expected to be ruining fun tonight or if they’ll be staying in their huts due to the rain.

User avatar
jcftao
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am
Contact:

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by jcftao »

"More ale, while I still have some coin!"

Looking at no one in particular in the tavern, Fauk will growl loudly, "Is there no one here that has need of this blade? Come one, come all! Sword for hire! There has to be more excitement in this one horse town, than watching the rain fall?"

"Well, at least it washes the smell of dung off the streets."

"Ale, barman! Do your job!"

Fauk gets loud when he is in his cups.

User avatar
badams30
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by badams30 »

Brother Bertram - Priest

Bertram exhales loudly as he lowers his ample frame into a chair. He smiles and nods, greeting those around him that he knows by name. "Ralen, my friend! I'm parched and hungry. Salvation and construction are hard work. How about a tankard... NO! TWO TANKARDS of some of that cold ale, and something for my belly." He pats his protruding belly and chortles merrily. Then seeing the fella with the scroll looking like he's about to speak, he smiles and waves at him, waiting for him to speak his mind.

User avatar
connivingsumo
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by connivingsumo »

Slip
Image
jcftao wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 am
"Is there no one here that has need of this blade? Come one, come all! Sword for hire! There has to be more excitement in this one horse town, than watching the rain fall?"
To Fauk, "If you're hired and find you need a multi-talented Scout, let me know."


Scout, Tinkerer, and Cartographer
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 5
+ AC: 5
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
When possible, Slip will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.


User avatar
greyarea
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by greyarea »

Tor pauses, furrows his brow and looks at Slip as if he was from Mars, Scout? Scout? Who needs a scout. We can scout ahead all we want.

He shakes his head and drinks deeply muttering “scout” into his ale. Then he wipes froth from his lips and says, nah, what we really need is a good thief. Find me one-a those.

User avatar
jcftao
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am
Contact:

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by jcftao »

Fauk elbows Tor and mutters, "You must have had too much ale...that is a lass you see before you!"

Fauk rises and gives as courtly a bow as can be given from a drunken barbarian. "Young lady, what turn of fortune would have you working for hire as a scout? i mean no offense, but selling your services, no matter how trivial (jerks his head back towards Tor), doesn't seem like the best course for a young maiden."

"Come, sit at our table and tell us your story. If any want to hire one of us, they'll need to hire us all! <Raises his ale in the air, sloshing it a bit> A toast to our new company...whatever the hell it might be called!"

User avatar
greyarea
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by greyarea »

Tor squints and nods. Must be working on her disguising, he mutters.

He orders two more cups as he isn’t well enough in his.

User avatar
tumblingdice
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm
Location: Southern NH

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by tumblingdice »

A serving maid comes in from the back room, and begins to assist Ralen in filling everyone's orders. Ralen turns his attention to the sopping wet stranger. What news, then, Horace?

"Horace" leans in and whispers something to the Ralen. The tavernmaster nods, then inclines his head in the direction of Fauk, Tor and The Slip. The stranger makes his way to your table. I am looking for the one known as The Slip, he intones ominously.

Actions?

Post Reply