Out-of-character (OOC) chat

Exploring the elder, esoteric Lands and Environs of the D&D Wilderness. When we have time.

Moderator: greyarea

connivingsumo

Re: Out-of-character (OOC) chat

Post by connivingsumo »

Forgot to include starting gold roll, which wasn't bad with a 5, 3, and another 5.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

mythictom wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:20 pm
I am proud of stickman though! :shifty:
You could call him Stickman deMagicker...
connivingsumo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Forgot to include starting gold roll, which wasn't bad with a 5, 3, and another 5.
All right! Slip's picking up the first round of ales at the Hook & Hatchet Tavern. He'll also be in charge of prying rumors out of all the local drunks. There's always a wealth of reliable information to be found in public houses, at least in D&D games. :D

Rik, thanks for submitting what appears to be the first pencil-drawn character sketch of the game. Please tell me, however, that Slip hasn't already fallen on his own sword. It reminds me of the poor, hapless mascot for Videlectrix Games, as seen at the beginning of Peasant Quest.
https://youtu.be/Vjw6PHbqgOg

Alas, dead men don't buy rounds.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

I have to do everything in my power to get XP because - let's be real - these online PbP games + old crappy rules = *never leveling up for crap. :lol:
SO! You will see a drawing of Slip's shadow. Sweet! 100XP bonus! :mrgreen:

*actually, your Desert Nomads game was the highest character I've ever had in a PbP forum game - Roikos, level 6 (or was it 7?) Cleric.

Pretty much EVERY PbP game I've played in since 2011 never gets beyond level 3.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

I may make a Dwarf Thief instead; we'll see. Going to read up on it later this afternoon.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

connivingsumo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:47 pm
I may make a Dwarf Thief instead; we'll see. Going to read up on it later this afternoon.
There's no such thing as a dwarf thief in B/X, remember? We can still arrange for you to be Brandon's character's brother, though. You could be an adopted human thief brother! I must say, I can't imagine a human lad standing out like a sore thumb amongst a punch of pint-sized dwarves being able to pull off moving silently or hiding in shadows, however. All I can think of is Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

tumblingdice wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:38 pm
mythictom wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:20 pm
I am proud of stickman though! :shifty:
You could call him Stickman deMagicker...

Rik, thanks for submitting what appears to be the first pencil-drawn character sketch of the game.
I used ball point pen and lined white paper!

Kickin' it olde schoole!

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

P.S. I think this got buried....
mythictom wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:17 pm
2 equipment questions:

The 10' pole has no encumbrance entry. I assumed it would be the same as a magic staff. Is that okay?

Also, I rolled a 12 for starting gold of 120gp. You mentioned consulting Holmes for guidance.... Will you be using the Holmes rule suggesting MUs can create scrolls at any level? And if yes, can I start with one by spending 100gp? (Basically having created it before play begins.)

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:58 pm
connivingsumo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:47 pm
There's no such thing as a dwarf thief in B/X, remember?
Oops, sorry Steve. I pulled up "Basic Fantasy" pdf instead of my LL pdf that I named 'Basic.' Sorry about that. :roll:

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

mythictom wrote:
2 equipment questions:

The 10' pole has no encumbrance entry. I assumed it would be the same as a magic staff. Is that okay?

Also, I rolled a 12 for starting gold of 120gp. You mentioned consulting Holmes for guidance.... Will you be using the Holmes rule suggesting MUs can create scrolls at any level? And if yes, can I start with one by spending 100gp? (Basically having created it before play begins.)
The 10' pole is assumed as part of the normal equipment encumbrance of 80 cn. No extra encumbrance for it. Watch everybody decide to bring a pole with them now. :lol:

I mentioned Moldvay and Mentzer D&D, along with AD&D. We won't be using any Holmes rules, as I don't own the book in either print or PDF. I will be assigning your character 4 spells shortly, however.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

tumblingdice wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:38 pm
mythictom wrote:
2 equipment questions:

The 10' pole is assumed as part of the normal equipment encumbrance of 80 cn. No extra encumbrance for it. Watch everybody decide to bring a pole with them now. :lol:

I mentioned Moldvay and Mentzer D&D, along with AD&D. We won't be using any Holmes rules, as I don't own the book in either print or PDF. I will be assigning your character 4 spells shortly, however.
Okily, dokily.