B1.1 - Beginnings

Exploring the elder, esoteric Lands and Environs of the D&D Wilderness. When we have time.

Moderator: greyarea

badams30

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by badams30 »

Bert - Priest

Bert grabs his mace and charges the closest crawly carrion critter, intent on bashing it!

"HO! Begone, foul bug!"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Round 2

Initiative: monster 6, party 3
Monster attacks (4) Bert

The whiplike tentacles streak at the cleric (16, HIT) who (save v paralysis, 18, success!) feels his limbs stiffen but he evades the stony hardening of his limbs.

Fauk cries out "We want to go south where it is warm" and (18+2=10, hit, dmg 1+2=3) nicks the wily worm.
Slip fires her bow into melee (18-2=16, HIT, 6dmg) and the monster shudders and collapses, trapping its many legs beneath it. The tentacles twitch for a time and then fall limply to the ground.

All is quiet.

Actions?

Fauk | 9/9
Slip | 5/5
Tor | 9/9
Bert | 6/6
Trebb | 4/4

OOC: John, you may suggest a different "battle cry of Fauk's people" if you choose.
Hey, the creature was in the module and I never named it here so I'm in the clear legally, right Steve? Maybe?

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

greyarea wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:14 pm
OOC: Hey, the creature was in the module and I never named it here so I'm in the clear legally, right Steve? Maybe?
OC: Technically? (tentacly?) Yes, I suppose. But it's a slow day for the Pinkertons, and they need someone to harass.

Tor wipes the back blood from his blade once again. "Nice shot!" he tells the Slip in admiration. Turning to Fauk, he says, "If you want to head south, don't let me stop you. Perhaps," had adds, motioning to the nick upon the carrion crawler's corpse, "you could practice your swordplay while you are there." He then gives the warrior a collegial thump on the shoulder. Turning his attention to Brother Bert, he asks, "How bad did it get you? Whatever it is."

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Bert - Priest

Bert collects his wits for a moment and says to Tor "I'm okay, just a bit shaken. I felt a stiffness when it hit me, but was only for a moment. I hope that's the last we see if this type of thing. Is everyone else okay?"

Bert raises the torch as high as he can to try to examine the area in the shadows and any place that we can't quite see 100% clearly. No more surprises.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Fauk laughs, "I care not where we go as long as we find more critters for Tor to hone his swordplay on!"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Bert raises the torch and notices sconces with torches surrounding the room. They are between silky banners which hang on the walls.

Trebbelos slips into lecture mode, odd coming from a face so young, and says, That was a carcass scavenger or a crawler among carrion or something. Corpus comedentis, if you want to be technical. It goes by many names. The gnomes call it… well, never mind.

Those tentacles sting and should paralyze. I’m lucky to be in so great an adventuring party that even our cleric can resist!

It’s not known why they paralyze their enemies, as they don’t eat the living. Some believe it’s so they can eat in peace, others that the paralyzed ones eventually die and become food, still others…
. The young wizard drones on and on not noticing that the party really isn’t paying much attention.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Bert - Cleric

Bert humors the young wizard and says "Ahh, fascinating. Quite an interesting creature, though I don't care much for his touch, if you get my drift. Ha ha ha... Now look over here, fellows".

Bert points out the torches and banners. He'll light just enough torches so that the banners are visible.

Question - do the torches look new, or old/dusty?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Older. The dust that’s there flares briefly when the torches are lit. You don’t think they are over a year old but certainly not new.

The banners are old and kind of ratty but have been repaired, it seems. Well loved, one might say.

The light illuminates a few piles along the walls of carrion: bones and such from various creatures. The creature you defeated ate well here.

In the center of the room are the two chairs, like thrones, upon a dais. They appear to be carved from stone of some sort.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Slip will thoroughly search the stone chairs/thrones.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

"I don't think much about the housekeeping here. In my village, we'd bring the animals in during the winter, but still kept the huts tidy," Fauk remarks and then takes a quick look at Tor to see if he would wise-crack about the farm animals.