B1.1 - Beginnings

Exploring the elder, esoteric Lands and Environs of the D&D Wilderness. When we have time.

Moderator: tumblingdice

User avatar
connivingsumo
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by connivingsumo »

Slip
Image

She steps forward, "Who's asking?"


Scout, Tinkerer, and Cartographer
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 5
+ AC: 5
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
When possible, Slip will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.


User avatar
tumblingdice
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm
Location: Southern NH

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by tumblingdice »

You may call me Horace, replies the stranger. Then, lowering his voice, he continues. I am a fellow agent of The Compass.

Assuming no one stops him, Horace takes a seat. We need your services for an assignment, Slip. As you may have heard Rogahn and Zelligar died in what appears to be their last battle against the Reavers of the Frost Isles to the north. It is sad news for the Kingdom of Yarrik, but it is also an opportunity for us, and a call to action.

Horace continues. Rogahn and Zelligar never held any formal titles within our lands, so the crown has no interest in claiming their fortress. But there are others who might. At this moment we suspect a band of Reavers are making their way to our shores, looking to plunder their hideout. We also suspect our neighbors to the east would be interested in what wealth could be gained from its depths. In any case, The Compass would love a map of the fortress. And if we could stop that treasure from falling into enemy hands, then we can also be of service to our King.

Horace pulls a scroll out from the case, then unrolls it on the table. You can see that it's a map. Our sources tell us the fortress is in the wooded hills northwest of the village of Tenney Hollow, in the Barony of Bluehill to the North. Your assignment is to provide The Compass with a detailed map of the interior. You can hire whomever you trust for assistance, and keep any treasure you find. But the map is ours. What say you?

What say you?

(Map to follow this evening, but you don't need it to accept or refuse the adventure. I hope.)

User avatar
badams30
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by badams30 »

Brother Bert - Disciple of the One True God

Bert gives the barkeep a pat on the back as he brings his two tankards and food out, he motions toward Tor and says 'Bring an extra tankard for my nephew, would you? What kind of uncle would I be if he got dehydrated on my watch, eh?" And he chortles merrily as he plops down next to Tor.

"What's going on, eh? What's that fella talking about? Please be something exciting. The eternal reward of helping with the construction of the church is gratifying, but I really would like to hit the road and find something interesting. Are you listening to me? Oh, my boy, I'm praying for you..."

User avatar
connivingsumo
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by connivingsumo »

Slip
Image
tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:20 pm
You may call me Horace, replies the stranger. Then, lowering his voice, he continues. I am a fellow agent of The Compass.
This surprises the young Scout as she had just left headquarters not that long ago. Perhaps they knew this and sought to catch up with her since she was in the area.

She offers the CCHG (Compass Customary Hand Gesture), palm inward toward the heart, four fingers extended with the Ring Finger bent to the palm held by the Thumb. Each finger represents the four directions of a compass, of which you can only travel one at any given time. The bent Ring Finger indicates the traveled direction, whatever it may be.
tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Assuming no one stops him, Horace takes a seat. We need your services for an assignment, Slip. As you may have heard Rogahn and Zelligar died in what appears to be their last battle against the Reavers of the Frost Isles to the north. It is sad news for the Kingdom of Yarrik, but it is also an opportunity for us, and a call to action.
"Their death is speculation, correct? I've not read, or heard rumor, of any hard evidence." Horace knows the training we've all graduated from; he knows she is calculating probability and contingencies for such a dangerous and uncertain undertaking.
tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Horace continues. Rogahn and Zelligar never held any formal titles within our lands, so the crown has no interest in claiming their fortress. But there are others who might. At this moment we suspect a band of Reavers are making their way to our shores, looking to plunder their hideout. We also suspect our neighbors to the east would be interested in what wealth could be gained from its depths. In any case, The Compass would love a map of the fortress. And if we could stop that treasure from falling into enemy hands, then we can also be of service to our King.
Obviously nervous, she fires off an array of questions, "What can you tell us of the Reavers, and their numbers?" and before Horace can answer, "How great is their head start?"
tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:20 pm
Horace pulls a scroll out from the case, then unrolls it on the table. You can see that it's a map. Our sources tell us the fortress is in the wooded hills northwest of the village of Tenney Hollow, in the Barony of Bluehill to the North. Your assignment is to provide The Compass with a detailed map of the interior. You can hire whomever you trust for assistance, and keep any treasure you find. But the map is ours. What say you?
The young woman is no fool. Undertaking this task on her own would likely end in certain death. Afraid to say anything, she plays along like this group of fellows are part of her band. As Horace moves to an unoccupied table for his map scroll, she hooks his arm with hers and pivots him to Fauk's table!

As Horace lays out the map on Fauk's table and starts pointing at areas like Tenney Hollow. The Scout observes Horace is standing where Tor was sitting. She sits down at Fauk's table with the balding, presumably Cleric, man. As Tor approaches from his errand to the Out-Building, her foot travels underneath the table to the vacant chair opposite of her and slides it out from underneath the table with her soft-booted toes... just in time for Tor to sit down.


Scout, Tinkerer, and Cartographer
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 5
+ AC: 5
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
When possible, Slip will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

Last edited by connivingsumo on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
greyarea
Posts: 860
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by greyarea »

Tor accepts the new tankard and raises it in salute to his Uncle Bert, the downs it in a single long draught, before slamming the empty cup on the table. He wipes the froth from his lips and then belches loudly.

I accept your prayers, Uncle, and your ale. Lord knows I need at least one of them. By Crom, this is why you should support your church, so they can keep you in their prayers and in your cups!

User avatar
connivingsumo
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by connivingsumo »

greyarea wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:49 pm
He wipes the froth from his lips and then belches loudly.
Appalled, Slip does her best - and fails - to hide her disgust.

Looking apologetically at Horace, "He compensates well with his giant sword." she says with raised brow, clearly unamused.

User avatar
tumblingdice
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm
Location: Southern NH

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by tumblingdice »

Horace returns the Compass Customary Hand Gesture, then scowls at the Slip's feeble excuse for Tor's behavior. He replies, As for the demise of Rogahn and Zelligar, we have no physical proof. Only what we hear. There are many tongues telling the tale, and the pair have been gone for far too long. As for the Reavers, we have reason to suspect they're sending a scouting party for reconnaissance, not an army. Half a dozen at most, at least, for now.

Note: My cheesy Kingdom of Yarrik map is up, finally.

http://snw.smolderingwizard.com/viewtop ... 8666#p8666

Actions?

User avatar
jcftao
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am
Contact:

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by jcftao »

Fauk grunts upon hearing of Zelligar and Rogahn's death. "Rumours! Seems that I have heard the opposite...in fact Zelligar and Rogahn have actually returned to their stronghold, and woe be to any unwelcome visitors! But who is to say? We'll know more when we get there."

"Oh, by the way, evidently the place is protected by the gods themselves, and one member of any party of intruders is doomed to certain death," Fauk takes a look at the cleric. "Perhaps the fat friar can soothe the god's concerns, no?"

User avatar
badams30
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by badams30 »

Brother Bert - Cleric

Bert chuckles at Fauk's "Fat Friar" comment. "Heh heh... indeed. The light shines on those of the one true faith, to be sure. But say, did I hear you mention Rogahn? Interesting." He leans in and says at a whisper "Why, I've heard that the great Roghan has a trophy room filled with all his relics from many battles, and even has a gem as big as Tor's fist worth thousands of gold. And his partner had a fantastic workshop where he dabbled in magics unlike anything seen before or after his disappearance.". His gaze drifts off as visions of gigantic gems float through his head....

Bert suddenly gets an agitated look on his face as he suddenly remembers Tor's belch. "TOR! please mind your manners, won't you?"

User avatar
greyarea
Posts: 860
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by greyarea »

Tor is taken aback by Fauk’s revelation and swears, By Crom, the one who shall die shall not be my uncle! My blade will see to that!

He leans in, ale-fueled fire in his eyes.

I say we loot the place. If they have died then their stronghold is ripe for plucking.

Post Reply