B1.3 - Upstairs, Downstairs

Exploring the elder, esoteric Lands and Environs of the D&D Wilderness. When we have time.

Moderator: greyarea

greyarea

Re: B1.3 - Upstairs, Downstairs

Post by greyarea »

As the party prepares to take the two gnomes from the room, a gnode of gnomes enters. They are speaking among themselves, but stop short when they see you. Your hearing must have prevented you from noticing them until they entered the room.

They point excitedly at the bodies and you, chattering in their Gnomish language. The one of them says in thickly accented Common, What are you doing there with Gnute and Gnicolas? Give an account of yourselves, or we’ll have to get gnasty!

They heft picks and hammers menacingly.

Actions?

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

OC: I guess Paul really didn't want us going back upstairs yet. :lol:

Tor will let someone more pleasant than himself do the talking.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

I actually had them coming anyway. :lol: The shriekers attracted a few “monsters” and the random rolls worked surprisingly well from a narrative perspective. May as well make them connected to the ones I already had here. And saving even more wandering monster rolls on the way upstairs. :D

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Bert - Priest

Bert holds up his hands and says "Your friends were underneath these screaming mushrooms, and we came to check on them to see if they were alright. We were beset by all these creatures when the mushrooms started screaming, and we didn't want to leave your comrades helplessly here for these things to prey upon them, so we stuck by to kill these creatures. We were getting ready to take these fellows to some of your kind who we met upstairs earlier. We seem to be unable to wake them for whatever reason. I am Brother Bert, and these are my friends."

OOC: I assume these gnomes aren't the ones we met earlier...

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

The gnome regards you with narrowed eyes. He says to one of his companions something in Gnomish.

That other gnome sprints forward to kneel at one of the gnomes on the ground, pulling a helmet with a round mirror and a small candle on it from his pack. He doesn’t bother lighting the candle as it is bright enough in the room, but he puts on the helmet and begins examining the body.

The gnome leader says, We’ll see to our own kind, big Bert. Thank you for trying to help. These two have been missing for a week or more: who knows underground? We were concerned they had gone upstairs to join the others. Glad to see they just took a nap among the toadstools.

The other gnome continues his examination.

The room is otherwise silent. You feel your hearing returning, like cotton being removed from your ears.

Actions?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Big Bert - Priest

Bert smiles and says "What do you mean, to join the others? We did meet some gnomes upstairs, they weren't very friendly to us, are you not associated with them?" " As you can see, we aren't miners or the underground types, might you be able to tell us what's down here? I'd be grateful."

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Associated with them?, says the gnome. Heaven’s no. That’s the Castle Builders Local 616: the biggest group of rotters this side of Avalon. They give us working gnomes a bad name. Always striking or threatening to strike. You know they started renegotiating their last contract before they signed the one they just agreed to? Bunch of rats. And Banks, the leader, he’s the worst of ‘em. My wife tells me he was rotten since the day he was born. Explains a lot!

No, we’re the Dungeon Builders Local 42. Always finish the job: that’s our way. No strikes for us, not unless the vein changes, if you know what I mean, son. We’ll gladly help you.

Tell you what, we’ve had a big problem with troglodytes. We see you’ve dealt with a few here. You take out their den, I’ll you can have some of the gems we found in our work. They aren’t all cut like your ladies like them, but they’re probably worth a pretty penny on the open market. What do you say?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Fauk's ears perk up at the mention of gems, "Maybe we can be of some help to you."

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Like Fauk, Slip's attention sharpens at the mention of gems!

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Bert - Priest

Bert glances at the others and (assuming they agree) he says "We're happy to lend a hand to you honest, hardworking fellows. You'd just need to show us where they are, and if you know anything that could be helpful... times of their comings and goings, when they sleep, anything that might help us get the drop on them. And while we're at it, are there any other baddies down here we need to be concerned about?"