B1.3 - Upstairs, Downstairs

Exploring the elder, esoteric Lands and Environs of the D&D Wilderness. When we have time.

Moderator: greyarea

tumblingdice

Re: B1.3 - Upstairs, Downstairs

Post by tumblingdice »

Tor will lead the way as the party heads south--literally and figuratively--his sword at the ready.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

The party heads south (only literally, one hopes) and enters a large cavern. The cave area is pitch dark, and only Trebb's torch and the new magic sword spill light into the area. To the north is a glow of purplish hue. To the west and southeast are more of the moans you've heard before (which Trebbolos says with confidence, Are certainly the wind. It couldn't really be anything but, right? ). There is a breeze which occasionally shifts. When it does so and comes from the west, there is a horrible smell. Unwashed bodies living in squalor is what your minds immediately go to.

Otherwise, the cave is empty.

Actions?

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Slip

The 'wind' makes Slip nervous. "That purple hue is interesting." The Scout says quietly, as she tries to remain hidden.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Bert - Priest

Bert winces at the smell. “WHEW. That’s awful. There’s something I don’t like about that smell, can’t put my finger on it, but we need to be careful.”

Bert prefers to go in the opposite direction of stinkyville.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Tor looks around, crinkling his nose at the smell. He nods toward the purple hue, and starts heading in that direction.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Fauk moves cautiously with the rest of the party.

OOC ~ sorry guys for being away, but I am back now.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

jcftao wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:03 pm
OOC ~ sorry guys for being away, but I am back now.
Welcome Back! :clap: :mrgreen:

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

The purple glow leads you north. You get to a larger chamber where the glow continues northeast. To the west, the cavern continues into darkness.

Trebbelos tells you that the glow is caused by mold or fungus on the walls. It appears to be spreading: as you progress there is more of it. It started as a rough line perhaps an inch thick about three feet from the floor but has grown to nearly a yard wide, still just on the walls. Hence the stronger glow. It is not enough (yet) to outflow the torch or sword—you couldn’t read by it—but it does illuminate rather nicely.

Actions?

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Bert - Priest

Bert stares at the glowing mold, mesmerized. "Quite beautiful, in its own way. I can remember Brother Hortence at the monastery talking about molds and fungi that can kill a man too, so I'm keeping my distance from this stuff."

Bert clutches the torch a bit tighter and maintains an observant eye on the mold, watching for any changes in type, movement, etc.

Bert nods toward the North and says "Maybe keep following the light?"

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Slip

Like Bert, Slip is also mesmerized by the beautiful, glowing mold. She nods in agreement with Bert's suggestion to continue North; however, she has not forgotten about that stench, so she keeps a watchful eye to the South... should anything foul come from behind!

I'm such a child; I just giggled at my last sentence. :lol: