b/x printed?

Discussion of the 1981 Basic/Expert version of D&D.
Yajin

b/x printed?

Post by Yajin »

I've got the D&D basic and expert book PDFs from DriveThruRPG but they don't offer to print them. I've used google to look for printing services but have not really found a good solution. I've also looked for re-printed versions (other than expensive originals on eBay) - does anyone have a solution or source to purchase printed versions? Thanks!

merias
Site Admin

Re: b/x printed?

Post by merias »

I've used Lulu in the past for book printing of PDFs, mostly because they do international shipping at reasonable prices. The last one I did was the OSE classic rules tome. However, they changed their process in the past few years and generating the covers to the correct specs is now a pain. They used to have a cover wizard that let you upload an image file, now they make you upload finished PDFs separately for the cover images.

What I've done for that is to create a blank Libre Office doc, insert the front and back cover images on facing pages, and print as PDF. It takes a bit of fiddling but works.

If you are in the States, I think there are a few other options. I used to use Staples years ago to print and bind PDFs, not sure if they even have that service any more. I've also seen printme1.com mentioned as decent in other forums.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Yajin wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:31 am
I've got the D&D basic and expert book PDFs from DriveThruRPG but they don't offer to print them. I've used google to look for printing services but have not really found a good solution. I've also looked for re-printed versions (other than expensive originals on eBay) - does anyone have a solution or source to purchase printed versions? Thanks!
The files of B/X from Drive Thru aren't the greatest quality either. If you are on Facebook, there is a group entitled "Dungeons & Dragons B/X (Moldvay/Cook & Marsh) and a group member took both files, re-created them using the same font, layout, etc. and cleaned it up a bit and put it in the appropriate order to make it a B/X omnibus edition. The file (along with a bunch of nice looking cover options) are located on the group and downloadable for free AND set up to print hardcover at LuLu. I got a hardcover copy with a matte finish for about $12-13 and it cost about $8-9 to ship it. I had it in two weeks and am quite pleased with it.
If you'd like to see the file but aren't on FB, I'd be happy to share it with you.

Yajin

Post by Yajin »

My wife requested membership in the Facebook group, I should be able to get it once she’s approved. Thanks!!!

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Yajin wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 pm
My wife requested membership in the Facebook group, I should be able to get it once she’s approved. Thanks!!!
Good luck! I'd been wanting a print copy for a while, but just struck out every time I tried to do it, and this thing popped up and it was perfect. My only gripe (and it isn't much of one) is I'd like to do a spiral bound copy, as it would lay open easier than the hardcover. The files shared on the FB group are set up for hardcover printing, and I didn't have the skills to re-size the cover and borders for spiral bound. Otherwise, it's a great option, and best of all you can see the actual file before you commit to printing it. And the cost is certainly right.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Just an update that the print copy came out really nice.

Narmer

Post by Narmer »

I have a comb binder and make my own books but I really need to do this.

HawaiianShirtDad

Post by HawaiianShirtDad »

I don't have a Facebook account. Does anyone have access to the all in one pdf that they would be willing to share? Thanks for the help!

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

@HawaiianShirtDad check your PMs.

chapped hoop

Post by chapped hoop »

so, yeah...

I printed the hardcover Basic and expert books, full sized.

I noticed there was Digest sizes available, buy not for the B/X omnibus.
unless I have somehow missed this.

I really want my B/X omnibus hardcover in this size to file alongside my OSE books

any links I'm missing to fid this, or it just does not exist?