OOC CHAT

A White Box FMAG Sandbox
kipper

Re: OOC CHAT

Post by kipper »

^ While not nearly that extreme, I just calculated that I've moved on average every 3 years since I've been living with my wife (including moving countries once). I think the longest we've lived in any one house was 6 years. As a child I moved 5 times with my family, each time to an entirely different city but all in the same country.

The biggest change this time is moving out of Vancouver, where we've been for the last 17 years (although in 4 different homes). Still, we have not moved that far this time, just to a small town nearby (Gibsons). While close to Vancouver it's a lot more quiet because you have to take a ferry to get there.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

kipper wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:03 pm
While close to Vancouver it's a lot more quiet because you have to take a ferry to get there.
Ooooh! Quiet and "have to take a ferry to get there" sounds pretty dreamy to me! Worth the hassle of moving, I suspect! :mrgreen:

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

I agree with Rik. Unless you're afraid of water or prone to sea sickness, who could ask for anything better!

As for relocating, I've moved very little compared to some of you. I consider myself very lucky. My family moved from Massachusetts to New Hampshire in 1978 when I was 4 1/2. I got my own apartment about 30 minutes from my parents' house, in Manchester in 1999, bought a condo 2 doors down from that apartment building in 2005, then my wife, 1-year old and I bought a ranch about 30 minutes from Manchester, in Pembroke in 2013. Been there ever since. I did go away to college, lived in California for a year, and even lived in my inlaws' house for a month while we renovated the condo, but I don't count any of those moves because I had so little stuff to take with me.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:23 pm
I agree with Rik. Unless you're afraid of water or prone to sea sickness, who could ask for anything better!

As for relocating, I've moved very little compared to some of you. I consider myself very lucky. My family moved from Massachusetts to New Hampshire in 1978 when I was 4 1/2. I got my own apartment about 30 minutes from my parents' house, in Manchester in 1999, bought a condo 2 doors down from that apartment building in 2005, then my wife, 1-year old and I bought a ranch about 30 minutes from Manchester, in Pembroke in 2013. Been there ever since. I did go away to college, lived in California for a year, and even lived in my inlaws' house for a month while we renovated the condo, but I don't count any of those moves because I had so little stuff to take with me.
I miss Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

I wish I could move someplace off the beaten path. Aside from growing up in northeast MI, I didn't get out much till I joined the army. Spent a couple years in Germany (Love that place) Kuwait & Iraq, and then stationed in Wisconsin for a couple years. I love Detroit, lived in the area for about 5 years until my wife (an NC native) said that the climate sucks, we're outta here, and we packed it in to NC where we are now. I've worked remotely for a few years now, I'd love to live someplace small. I don't think my wife could take being away from civilization for long though.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Hey all, sorry for the delay. Been SUPER BUSY with new job and crazy kids/summer break. I'll shoot for a new post tomorrow! Thanks for your patience! Hope you are all not roasting alive and enjoying summer!

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Take your time, Brandon. All those things are important.

It's hot here in NH, but nowhere near as nasty as it could be. Fortunately, lakes, rivers, pools and splash pads are plentiful.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:54 am
Hey all, sorry for the delay. Been SUPER BUSY with new job and crazy kids/summer break. I'll shoot for a new post tomorrow! Thanks for your patience! Hope you are all not roasting alive and enjoying summer!
All good, Sir. Job & Family are more important. 8-) Glad you posted though... you were about to get a skellie! :mrgreen:

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

All good. School for the kids is coming up, starts next week for us. Summer is over.... :(

badams30

Post by badams30 »

spanningtree wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:02 pm
All good. School for the kids is coming up, starts next week for us. Summer is over.... :(
Ugh. Yeah, we've got a couple weeks yet. We're home next week, then driving to FL (8ish hours in the car, not my idea of fun) for a week at Coral Beach roasting like rotisserie chickens in the humidity and sun, yay fun. Then the following week is all pre-back to school parent/teacher meetings and prep, then the last week of august its back to carpooling and waking up grump kiddos each morning. My Emma has been staying up really late each night, so it's going to be awful trying to deprogram her to get back up early.

Not gonna lie though, it's tough trying to work with them running all over, and our porch has become like the default hangout for every kid on our block. THat's been a challenge too...