House Rules and Play Notes

A White Box FMAG Sandbox
badams30

House Rules and Play Notes

Post by badams30 »

House Rules:

Character Creation:
Roll 3d6 7 times, keep the best 6, distribute them as you see fit.
Roll 3d6 and multiply by 10, that's your starting gold. Don't stress out too much, you'll start with a few things, so you might not need to spend much gold if any.
PCs start with max HP at level one, rolling normally thereafter. Re-roll 1s, because 1s suck. Don't forget to add your CON bonus.

Class-Specific Stuff:
We’ll be sticking pretty closely with rules as written, but each class has a couple nuggets.

Fighters: Weapon Mastery - Fighters can choose one weapon at level 2 and gain +1 to hit and damage with it.

Thieves: Thieves luck - thieves can re-roll any single die roll once per day.

Magic Users: Magic users start with all first level spells. They can also conduct magical research and create spells beginning at level 3. I’m keeping this nebulous for now, but if you wish to create a spell or work on a magical item, etc. DM me and we’ll work it out. Rough guideline: the lower the level, the less-ambitious the spell or item you can create.

Clerics: Lawful clerics are trained in the non-magical healing arts. With minimal resources, a cleric can non-magically heal 1d3 dmg per character, per day. This cannot be done in combat or on the move. Clerics can also pray for divine intervention in times of need. (Not going to explain this one, but when things are looking bleak or all seems to be lost, a cleric can pray for some divine assistance (exact method of assistance is up to the GM and a good roll)
Undead: Lawful clerics destroy undead on a D roll, Chaotic clerics can choose to destroy OR control undead on such a roll.

Additional abilities/Profession On a case-by-case basis we can discuss other abilities. For instance - if you want a fighter who is like a Ranger - you could roll up a fighter, and we could discuss ways to make them more like the type of character you have in mind. Depending on abilities and such, there may be an additional XP cost involved, etc, but lets talk.

General Stuff:
Death: At 0 hp, you're unconscious. Below zero, you are slipping towards death, with death at minus 10.
Critical Hits/Misses: A natural 20 will do max weapon damage and a roll on the critical hit table. A natural 1 is a roll on the critical miss table.

Combat:
AC - we'll be using ASCENDING armor class.

Background & Character Stuff:
One Sentence Background: A simple background will suffice. Even one sentence. I'll give each character some rumors and or special info that they are privy to. If you want some of this to play into your background, that's cool, just let me know....

How We'll Play
To keep things moving, I'll make all the rolls. Please tell me what your action is for the round, and you can give me a conditional action ("I'll attack the kobold, but if it's killed before I attack, then I'll advance to the door" or whatever).
I used to be a map guy. Lotsa maps. But I'm going to try and keep this mainly theater of the mind. If you need clarification on something, I can post a shot of a map, no big deal. But I'll try to avoid that if at all possible.
This sandbox is living and breathing, I'm working on it on the fly. I have a small region fleshed out, with some adventure possibilities seeded all around. If I don't have an answer, bear with me.
Lastly, If combat is winding down or the victory of the characters looks certain, I may just continue the actions from the previous round to resolve the combat and keep things moving.

If anything isn't covered here, ask. There's a few house rules, but I just want this to be fun and to flow smoothly. I'm open to suggestions and constructive criticism, so feel free to make a suggestion or comment.