The pile of ash suggests the witch

jcftao

Re: Trouble at Brandonsford!

Post by jcftao »

I agree with the ashpile.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

As does Sythandra. First time agreeing with a dwarf.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

You make your way back to the inn, as the sun is setting the village is quiet, shutters are drawn and you could hear a pin drop. The inn is empty and Bentley and his daughters are putting chairs up on the tables. He brings out a couple pitchers of water and some bread and cheese for you to take to your rooms, and he bids you good night. Seems having a dragon about has made whatever nightlife that Brandonsford had now nonexistent.

Your rooms are spartan but very comfortable. Each has warm water for cleanup and freshly turned sheets. After such a long day and trip, you all quickly fall asleep and enjoy a restful slumber with no interruptions except some noise from a thunderstorm that passes through overnight. You awaken to the smell of sausage, potatoes and eggs wafting up from the downstairs, and before long you are all enjoying some warm coffee and good food. Bently brings you all some bread, dried meat and offers to fill your waterskins for the walk today, wishing you good luck. As you depart he sees you all off and says "Safe travels! I hope you learn something to help you against this dragon. And despite what some of the village folk think about the witch, I don't jump to conclusions about her. She's lived here all these years and hasn't turned us all into toads or whatnot, so I give her the benefit of the doubt." With a wave he sees you off. No sooner do you step into the square than you hear a loud braying noise and there is your traveling companion Mort and donkey. Donkey bounces about excitedly, either happy to see you all, eager to go somewhere, or a combination of both. Mort smiles broadly, his toothless grin lighting up the overcast morning. "Howdy! I figured if you were heading out, you might need us to help haul anything you find, easier on your backs, you know..."

You set out, some residents watching you curiously, some waving, as you leave the walls of the village and proceed through the clearing and thin forest. You continue on, the forest quickly thickening and then you are surrounded by trees. Thankfully Ingrid's directions are good, and a seldom used path leads you on your way.

You make good time, and after a couple hours walk you come to a clearing. Stopping at the edge you observe:
A small hut with a steeply pitched thatch roof. It looks quite old, but well maintained. It has two windows and a sturdy looking oak door with a "Welcome" sign on it. You also see a pond between you and the structure. It's about an acre in size, roughly round with a well-worn path going around it leading to the hut. Cattails, bushes and some lillypads are visible. You hear a couple faint splashes from within the cattails. Most interestingly - there are roughly 100 topiaries all around the clearing generally encircling the entire house and part of the pond. The topiaries all seem to be meticulously (and eerily) detailed. They are human villagers, forest wildlife, a couple goblins, a bear, and assorted Demi humans. Their detail is remarkable, even at this distance.

It's quiet, you see no one or nothing. Mort breaks the silence by tapping Donkey on the nose and saying "Them nice bushes are for decorating, not for eating, you understand?" Donkey snorts.

Actions?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Willig will move closer to examine one of the topiares.
OOC--In Willig's opinion, do these show sign of magically created or done in the mundane way?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Great… thinks Hugi. I’m gonna be turned into a bush for sure.

He knocks on the door and, if the witch makes herself available will introduce himself and the party: Hello. I’m Hugi and these are my friends. We’ve taken on the task of ridding the area of the drake that’s been terrorizing the townsfolk and such. You come highly recommended as a source for both information about the beast and assistance in discovering how to subdue the creature.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

As you approach the pond you see several small humanoid heads pop up within about 5-6 feet of the edge of the pond, and the thick cattails part to reveal a small almost elven looking being. About 4 ft tall, She has light green skin, webbed hands and feet, and she's wearing what looks like a silky dress. She has a dagger at her side. She eyes you all suspiciously and holds her hand up at you as she speaks. Her voice is smooth and small, but with authority.
"Where do you think YOU'RE going?" She points toward your belts and says "You'd better toss those weapons in the pond right now, or she's going to turn you into shrubbery like the rest of the bushes around here."

She nods slowly and crosses her arms.

spanningtree

Post by spanningtree »

Eerik

Why does the sign say welcome then? Eerik responds to the green skinned thing.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Dewplo "the brave" Buttonberry
badams30 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:29 pm
"Where do you think YOU'RE going?" She points toward your belts and says "You'd better toss those weapons in the pond right now, or she's going to turn you into shrubbery like the rest of the bushes around here."
She nods slowly and crosses her arms.
Dewplo smiles widely at the little, webbed, green woman, and bows. "My! You're a tall one!" he says as he looks up to her.

The Halfling doesn't remove his weapons, but he does sit on the bank of the pond, non-threateningly - almost child like - and dips his feets into the water. "What a wonderful home you have!" As he sits wiggling his feets in the water, he turns his head and looks up to the woman, "Say... you don't suppose she turned those folks into a shrubbery just because they were armed? Surely they were menacing her in some way?" After a thoughtful pause, he krinks his neck again to twist and look up at her, "What can you tell me about our lady? Are you her warden, or do you just happen to live here in this beautiful pond?"

Master Sneaker
Target priority: imminent danger (self or companion), then the target most injured.
+ Arrows = 20
+ HP: 7
+ AC: 13
+ Super sneaky (Near Invisibility (1-5/d6))
+ To Hit: +3 with missiles (+1 melee), or +5 if Hidden (+3 melee).
+ Only receive half damage from 'Giant Types' (Ogres, Giants, Trolls, etc.)
When possible, Sammich will always try to retrieve previously fired arrows.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Hugi keeps his weapons sheathed, one eye on the door but the other on Dewplo. He wonders if the hobbit isn’t on to something.